• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Source for 'limited slip' ring and pinions (new).??

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Howdy from Colorado. Anyone have a source for replacement ring & pinions.?
I've got the wrong rear end gearing currently in my Lotus powered Hillman Husky.
Current rear is out of a Hillman Minx.
Having a hard time on 1st gear starts. Gotta slide the clutch quite a bit with lots of revs.

Cheers,
Cris

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Minx' were never geared higher than Alpines. Even if you have the highest stock ratio found in Alpines, 3.89, I'm surprised you're having difficulty with first gear starts with the presumably extra HP from a Lotus engine. The problem might be elsewhere. At the very least, take it apart and find out what ratio you currently have. You shouldn't need stump-pulling 4.55's out of another Husky to get the acceleration you want.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cris,

Is there any chance your brakes are hanging on and dragging? It's a problem that pops up on occasion due to failing brake flex hoses.

The only limited slip chunks that I know about were essentially prototypes, built for the Rootes racing program. There was never a production unit available to my knowledge.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I believe the gearing I'm running now is the 3.89. I think if I had a 4.22 I'd be dead nutz with less to overcome on initial take off.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Find a SV rear assy(4:22) and swap. The SV's are a bit stronger than earlier series also.

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've got the wrong rear end gearing currently in my Lotus powered Hillman Husky.
Having a hard time on 1st gear starts. Gotta slide the clutch quite a bit with lots of revs.

Cheers,
Cris
Cris,

You are saying the gearing is to tall for the motor to get off the line...? I'm very confused by that...

The tallest geared alpine was a S3 with a close ratio trans and 3.89 and even with the 1592 you can start them in 2nd with minimal clutch work...

If your car is lotus powered what trans is in it? Jensen healeys had a lotus twink with a rootes arrow range trans... What are you running? The ford derived 4 or 5 speed per the elan?

What ratio is 1st?... As discussed the next ratios are 4.22 then the delivery van ratios.... Unless you have a 5 speed box or tall wheel tyre combo.. Youll end up with a hill climb car....

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor

Cheers,
Cris
are you Sure the engine is "Timed" correctly ? I've seen seemingly perfect running engines where the "timing Belt/chain" is off a tooth or 2 and they "idle" perfect but have NO bottom end power ! just a thought. 3.89 gears should move it easily (even with just a squirrel cage under the hood. LOL)

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Sorry for the delay in responding to this post. The tranny is a Ford close ratio 4-speed single rail, shortened tail piece out of my U2-Mallock.
My friend is quite the twin-cam guy and now has my car. He's suspecting it's a weber spring issue (internal), or perhaps something else with the weber 40's.
He's built up a set of 45's that mimic the setup he has on his race Elan, that'll be our Plan C. I've also got a replacement Aldon dizzy built for the twin-cam by RD Enterprises (this is Plan B) and will go in before the carb spring swap.
Cheers, happy holidays to all.
Cris

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Time for an update. Ald0n is installed, as is a set of 45 DCOE's, and the 40's are resting comfortably in a box. Also ordered a 'big-bore' 4-2-1 header from Tony Thompson racing in England. Car's running much better these days, 40's couldn't get dialed in to his liking. Also bought a stock Husky 4.55 ring on pinion of eBay-uk for less than a hundred bucks, shipped..

Cheers & happy 2021. Hoping week #2 goes better than week 1 did!

Cris

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Time for an update. Ald0n is installed, as is a set of 45 DCOE's, and the 40's are resting comfortably in a box. Also ordered a 'big-bore' 4-2-1 header from Tony Thompson racing in England. Car's running much better these days, 40's couldn't get dialed in to his liking. Also bought a stock Husky 4.55 ring on pinion of eBay-uk for less than a hundred bucks, shipped..

Cheers & happy 2021. Hoping week #2 goes better than week 1 did!

Cris
I used to have a 4.55 R&P in my alpine. Top speed is like 85 mph.
Is the lotus motor a ford or is is a 910/912?

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
Sorry I missed your reply R. Racer. The engine is a Ford 'tall deck', so 1700 cc's + a few.
The Ford tranny is out of my 60's English 'tube frame' hill climb car so we think that it has a really tall 1st gear.
It had a shortened case tail section on it which allowed for an easier swap into the Hillman.

Cheers, stay safe.
Cris

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Sorry I missed your reply R. Racer. The engine is a Ford 'tall deck', so 1700 cc's + a few.
The Ford tranny is out of my 60's English 'tube frame' hill climb car so we think that it has a really tall 1st gear.
It had a shortened case tail section on it which allowed for an easier swap into the Hillman.

Cheers, stay safe.
Cris

Chris, We should meet up some time and share a beer. I too have limited slip bits but I plan to have some one piece axles made up to mate to my LSD for safety reasons.

hillmanhuskyguy

Silver Level Sponsor
I just looked at (stalked??) your profile. Shoot your local, even I know where Arvada is.!
Give me a shout via pm or whatnot once the weather gets warmer. Disclaimer: I won't be 'sharing
a beer' with anyone until two weeks past my second Covid jab at the end of the month. ;-))

One more update on the Husky, bit of a fail scenario. The 4.55 r&p turned out to be for what was an early Series I or II
Alpine and wouldn't work with or fit into my later (66) Minx rear-end housing. SportsCar Craftsmen also in Arvada had a
4.22 which we've now put into the car.

The whole center section, housing 4.55 R&P etc will be going onto the for sale tab in a day or two (for a song). It's been together
by someone who can use a dial indicator and repairs British cars for a living (see S.C.C. plug above).

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I just looked at (stalked??) your profile. Shoot your local, even I know where Arvada is.!
Give me a shout via pm or whatnot once the weather gets warmer. Disclaimer: I won't be 'sharing
a beer' with anyone until two weeks past my second Covid jab at the end of the month. ;-))

One more update on the Husky, bit of a fail scenario. The 4.55 r&p turned out to be for what was an early Series I or II
Alpine and wouldn't work with or fit into my later (66) Minx rear-end housing. SportsCar Craftsmen also in Arvada had a
4.22 which we've now put into the car.

The whole center section, housing 4.55 R&P etc will be going onto the for sale tab in a day or two (for a song). It's been together
by someone who can use a dial indicator and repairs British cars for a living (see S.C.C. plug above).

Yeah, keep my locale in mind in the future, I have a few goodies too including a 4.55 and 4.22 third member.

SI/II alpines NEVER came with 4.55 third members, only 15 inch wheel hillmans did.
The secret to why the 4.55 didnt work out for you is that it has the earlier 17 spine axles, not the 25 spline axles used on late SII to SV cars.
Replacing the spider gears would be an easy solution (late and early spider gears are compatible minus the axle spline differences).
So since you still have that third member, it is still possible to use it if you think it solves your ratio problem.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
As mentioned in a previous thread. I have rebuilt a Limited slip 4:55/ 10 spline year end. It was pointed out that this ratio would probably not be best for street or road track racing. Maybe for hill climb and autocross racing.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
As mentioned in a previous thread. I have rebuilt a Limited slip 4:55/ 10 spline year end. It was pointed out that this ratio would probably not be best for street or road track racing. Maybe for hill climb and autocross racing.
Care to take some photos of it all?
I have a dana 23 powr-lok LSD that was supposedly the precursor to what the factory put together for the factory race LSDs.
Wondering what all they did to make it all fit since the ring gear boss is a different size and the ring gear has a different number of mounting holes compared to the LSD carrier.
Then there is the issue of axles....

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The grainy photo is not a dana, not sure what it is. The rusty looking one is a dana/thornton. The 4.55 will be a stock rootes ring and pinion in an earlier hillman spiral bevel third member. The ring gear gets mounted to a modified dana powr-lok LSD carrier, the mods of which seem undocumented.