1. Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible.

Enjoy.

Dismiss Notice

Source for 'limited slip' ring and pinions (new).??

Discussion in 'Modified Alpine' started by hillmanhuskyguy, Nov 20, 2020.

1. hillmanhuskyguy

hillmanhuskyguy Donation Time

Howdy from Colorado. Anyone have a source for replacement ring & pinions.?
    I've got the wrong rear end gearing currently in my Lotus powered Hillman Husky.
    Current rear is out of a Hillman Minx.
    Having a hard time on 1st gear starts. Gotta slide the clutch quite a bit with lots of revs.

Cheers,
    Cris

2. RootesRooter

RootesRooter Platinum Level Sponsor

Minx' were never geared higher than Alpines. Even if you have the highest stock ratio found in Alpines, 3.89, I'm surprised you're having difficulty with first gear starts with the presumably extra HP from a Lotus engine. The problem might be elsewhere. At the very least, take it apart and find out what ratio you currently have. You shouldn't need stump-pulling 4.55's out of another Husky to get the acceleration you want.

3. husky drvr

husky drvr Gold Level Sponsor

Cris,

Is there any chance your brakes are hanging on and dragging? It's a problem that pops up on occasion due to failing brake flex hoses.

The only limited slip chunks that I know about were essentially prototypes, built for the Rootes racing program. There was never a production unit available to my knowledge.

4. hillmanhuskyguy

hillmanhuskyguy Donation Time

I believe the gearing I'm running now is the 3.89. I think if I had a 4.22 I'd be dead nutz with less to overcome on initial take off.

5. jumpinjan

jumpinjan Donation Time

Sounds like you have a narrow-ratio transmission.
    Jan

6. DanR

DanR Diamond Level Sponsor

Find a SV rear assy(4:22) and swap. The SV's are a bit stronger than earlier series also.

7. RootesRacer

RootesRacer Donation Time

I have a 4.55 I could part with (Came in my alpine, I swapped it for a 3.89)

8. alpine_64

alpine_64 Donation Time

Cris,

You are saying the gearing is to tall for the motor to get off the line...? I'm very confused by that...

The tallest geared alpine was a S3 with a close ratio trans and 3.89 and even with the 1592 you can start them in 2nd with minimal clutch work...

If your car is lotus powered what trans is in it? Jensen healeys had a lotus twink with a rootes arrow range trans... What are you running? The ford derived 4 or 5 speed per the elan?

What ratio is 1st?... As discussed the next ratios are 4.22 then the delivery van ratios.... Unless you have a 5 speed box or tall wheel tyre combo.. Youll end up with a hill climb car....