• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sorry about that guys...

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
We have always had a problem with our current hosts 100MB database quota. This has required regular monitoring of the db log files to ensure they aren't growing past the quota limit, therefore shutting us down until it's fixed.

To add to that problem, the web site has grown to the point that I can no longer simply delete the log files from the database to keep it working. I stupidly got careless and deleted the wrong things, crashing the site as a result.

Now to the good news. As a result of my mistake, I had to call tech support to have a back up implemented from Monday night. While on the phone with them I complained about the 100MB limit and they responded that all new db are 1GB in space. The conversation quickly turned to "How do I get one of those!"

So, we are now on a 1GB database platform. This is a good thing. During the restoration process I did run into some problems. 1st problem was that the backup file was too big for the MySQL uploading tool. I had to use a tool called Putty to import the file through a SSH link. Just when I though this was working great, I discovered that it was not completing the entire table upload and crashing on some of the Subdreamer portal tables. The only way to finish the job would be to recreate about 25 Subdreamer tables manually and import their data through the MySQL interface.

Once finished, I pointed the web site to the new db location and it blew up. My email inbox instantly flooded with error messages and I had to shut the whole thing down. After many hours of playing with it I finally decided to strip the Subdreamer portal software away from the Vbulletin forum software. This is why we are now looking a little bit different, without the outer shell from the web site portal. This had to be performed manually since the Subdreamer portion of the site wasn't functioning properly.

In time we can work on rebuilding the portal with newer software and get it back to the way it was. For right now, at least the forum is recovered and you guys can get back to talking about Sunbeams again!

Ian

Last edited:

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
thanks for all your work Ian. We all appreciate your efforts!

SDuncan

Donation Time
I'm not a computer guy, so all I got from that was that it broke and you did apt of work to fix it. Thanks for your effort. I was starting to go through withdrawls.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Lol... yea, I was amazed at how much I forgot about this stuff over the years. It does offer up a great opportunity for some much needed upgrades and maintenance, so in the long run the club will come out much better as a result.

I did notice in some reading the Subdreamer did a way with the forum integration for a while. Looks like they recently were purchased by a new owner and have written that back in to the new package. Forum integration was a little clumsy back when we first set this up and that technology has come a long way since. I would suggest we let the forum run for a bit here to make sure everything is working as it should. We can take a look at improvements once we know this is stable. I would first advise upgrading to the newest version of VBulliten.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ian, I have no idea what you said but am thankful you do!!! Thank you for your work on this!!!!!!

KenDemp

Donation Time
I understood everything except the part between "we" and "again!"... other than that, I got it all :)

Thanks for working to put things back together

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Ian

I too was suffering from withdrawal not being able to look at the Forum.

Keep up the good work and thanks Ian for all of your help.

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Have noticed though that some posts are either missing the first part or are not starting with #1.
Example:
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/showthread.php?t=19942
http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/showthread.php?t=19957

And others are not viewable.

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/showthread.php?t=19959

Mike,

I will take a look, but probably not much I will be able to do with it. Honestly, I'm pretty happy that I was able to get us to this point. I know we lost a little data from May 1st, but I think I want to leave well enough alone and hope that everything moving forward is working properly. To put it in simple terms... I don't want to break it again! lol... I'm really not a database guy and have not worked in a highly technical capacity in a long time. I'm getting pretty rusty at this sort of thing. I appreciate you pointing out the problems though.