• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Some more Zenith carb questions

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes both carbs need the fast idle assy...

If you have mesh inside and a square hatch pattern towards the carb outlet , you 'll be fine...

alpine_64

Donation Time
I looked at that. The fast idle rod on the front carb advances the throttle a small amount and with the linkage to the rear carb, it advances the rear throttle also. Is it necessary to have the rear rod installed as well? I don’t believe it was on the rear carb previously, but if required I can scavenge it off the old front carb.

The air filters do have a mesh in them. It is a black mesh so it is hard to see. What should the early filter mesh look like? I’m at work right now, but can take a picture of the mesh when I get home.
The stock filters have a oil coated dense mesh inside the filters. Yours appear to be the competition ones that basically are a hollow version. Stone filters.
We can see the holes on the underside of the filter body as there is no internal filter.

I think you cut something like a oil coated foam uni-filter or ramflo filter and could install it inside the filter housings. Would provide some filtering snd still flow well

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Ok. Looks like I need to put another piece inside. I’ll buy something like a motorcycle pod filter and cut it apart and cut the filter media to fit. 60292626-4E8B-47EC-9EDD-C9A220C3A420.jpegBC2B4705-F825-48DE-9EC4-D3046FFC6B98.jpeg

65beam

Donation Time
More filter mesh105_0001.JPG than the ones on my Harringtons. These have no filter other than the screen.110_0723.JPG

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
One more question. Setting the fuel level in the carbs. I changed out the existing needle valve and seat. Is there any way to set the float level other than rigging up a temporary fuel supply as described in the WSM?

Limey

Donation Time
Please paint those ancillaries satin black:). Will complement that lovely aluminum. Especially those great carbs

Limey

Donation Time
One more question. Setting the fuel level in the carbs. I changed out the existing needle valve and seat. Is there any way to set the float level other than rigging up a temporary fuel supply as described in the WSM?
Shouldn't need to. Remove the carb cover and hand pump the fuel pump. From memory the fuel level should be 12mm from the top edge? Bend the hinge to get the right level

65beam

Donation Time
Hey 65 beam, A whole lot of non standard parts and polishing going on there. Couldn't resist it maybe? Maybe dump those orange HT leads. Maybe sort that washer bottle cage. Maybe paint the Sunbean tappet cover text infill as per original. Maybe turn the expansion tank outlet hose 90 degress to point forward as per original. Maybe don't use jubilee clips if you are going to show us how it's done. Maybe don't use a Wall Mart ignition coil. Maybe colour code the scuttle brace bolts as per original. Maybe use the correct tappet cover nuts...And that's from two tight photographs.

Maybe you need to step back a little until you got something really good to bring to our 'show and tell'...
I'd rather have one thorough bred horse in my stable than five fat ponies
Limey,
I posted the photos to show my air filters since I believe that was the conversation and I'm glad you like my cars. It seems everyone likes the white car. The white car recently won the first place trophy in the judged Rare Rootes class at the United along with the popular vote in that class plus was voted BEST Of SHOW. Beat out a bunch of Tigers. Not bad for it's first major Sunbeam club event. We brought home a lot of British car show trophies with the white one in 2019. We've been invited to attend a couple concourse events with the white car this year. The reps from these events approached us due to the appearance and quality of the work. VTO Wheels plans to feature the white car on their web site. Pertaining to your comments about my cars the answer is that the cars belong to the wife and I spend a lot of her money on the cars and she is a Baby Boomer and when it comes to the cars she has told Doug many times to "JUST FIX IT". He changed a lot of things on the white car after I assembled it such as with the addition of grade 8 bolts. There is an old saying that says " A HAPPY WIFE MAKES FOR A HAPPY LIFE" There may be non standard pieces and yes there are many plated and polished parts on both cars. That makes her happy. I have been fortunate to have driven my dad's green car with very few miles on it back in the 60's. I still drive that same car and it does look different than it did when Dad bought it. He let me do a lot of things to it as the years went by during it's early age. Probably because Mom and Dad drove my 62 Impala SS convertible all the time. Tiger Auto did a bare metal restoration of the series 4 body a few years back. It will be at the show in Columbia in April. I received our registration confirmation of that yesterday. FYI, life got in the way and my wife stopped showing horses in the 70's and what was my Dad's barn at our house where the wife and I now live is stuffed with Sunbeam parts. No fat ponies. I do have a question for you. I bought the tool kit from you recently to add to my collection and I wonder why you coated the wrench for the oil drain plug. I sent you a message about this and haven't heard back. The original for this series 4 was not coated nor were the pliers and King Dick wrench. Just curious. Have a great day! Here's a photo of the old green car done our way.107_1000.JPG

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
I bought the tool kit from you recently to add to my collection and I wonder why you coated the wrench for the oil drain plug. I sent you a message about this and haven't heard back. The original for this series 4 was not coated nor were the pliers and King Dick wrench. Just curious. Have a great day! Here's a photo of the old green car done our way.View attachment 18787[/QUOTE]

Hi 65beam.

When I refurbed the tool kits I followed Ian Spencers excellent guide. Everything that should be black oxide coated has been done so. I have attached a screen grab of Ian's guide for reference. The tool kit you bought was for a SII. I don't know enough about SIVs to comment on those tool kits although I do have one somewhere in the parts room.Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 14.15.33.png

65beam

Donation Time
I bought the tool kit from you recently to add to my collection and I wonder why you coated the wrench for the oil drain plug. I sent you a message about this and haven't heard back. The original for this series 4 was not coated nor were the pliers and King Dick wrench. Just curious. Have a great day! Here's a photo of the old green car done our way.View attachment 18787

Hi 65beam.

When I refurbed the tool kits I followed Ian Spencers excellent guide. Everything that should be black oxide coated has been done so. I have attached a screen grab of Ian's guide for reference. The tool kit you bought was for a SII. I don't know enough about SIVs to comment on those tool kits although I do have one somewhere in the parts room.View attachment 18794[/QUOTE]
Limey,
I'm aware of Ian's guide and knowing him for a lot of years I give Ian mega credit for what he did when it came to researching items such as the tools. I have a large tool collection consisting of both Alpine and Tiger specific tools and I sell tools. I just received a shipment this past week from the U.K. consisting of multiple pliers and King Dick wrenches. None of these seem to have black oxide coating. The open end wrenches always seem to have a coating or remains of a coating. I wonder if there is info in the records at the Archive that could verify specifics concerning tools. I judged Alpine trunks at the United in August and very few cars even have an entire or partial original tool kit. I sold quite a few tools and tool rolls at the United. FYI, the previous owner of the white car was Ian. I've had a couple other cars that he was the previous owner. I believe I may have given him his first ride in a Harrington. We were at a United in Burlington, Vermont. He was hooked!