• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Some more Zenith carb questions

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Now that I have the head modded/ported and skimmed, I'm on to the carbs. On a series 1, heres what I have.

Front carb is stamped C1688F
36 WIP2

Rear carb is 36 WIP3
C 1774F

Obviously I have a mix and match set. The front two cylinders seemed to be running very rich based on the plug/head condition (sooty), the rear two were pretty much spot on (light tan).

Is there any way to set these two up so they are close? I haven't taken them apart yet, but looking in from the top, the front is a 28 venturi and the back is a 30.

Thanks

alpine_64

Donation Time
Firstly yes mis matched carbs. The jettimg and chokes are different.

What condition are the carbs in... Zeniths are usually worn with spindles and butterflys allowing air and fuel mixtures to be out of spec.

If you want to stay with the Zeniths id start by sourcing a matched pair.. Ideally off a SII if you have modified the motor and do a full rebuild.

Contact Bernd from the forum ( hes in Germany) he made new spindles iirc.

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Now that I have the head modded/ported and skimmed, I'm on to the carbs. On a series 1, heres what I have.

Front carb is stamped C1688F
36 WIP2

Rear carb is 36 WIP3
C 1774F

Obviously I have a mix and match set. The front two cylinders seemed to be running very rich based on the plug/head condition (sooty), the rear two were pretty much spot on (light tan).

Is there any way to set these two up so they are close? I haven't taken them apart yet, but looking in from the top, the front is a 28 venturi and the back is a 30.

Thanks

As Michael has said, best to have a matched pair.

Nevertheless if you're stuck you could try a smaller main jet on the front carb, that's assuming you have ready access to parts.

It might be worth getting a small mirror under the carb bowl(s) and letting us know what size main jets are installed at the moment.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
All answers already correctly given. If you want to go original find a 1688R - especially if you still run the 1500cc engine. If you have already upgraded to 1600cc and want to go for best performance find a matching 1744R. Both sets to be properly overhauled of course...

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Hi again.

Well, the carbs are apart and heres what I found. Based on the WSM data, it looks like all the jets are correct, even though the carbs aren't matched.

Front carb C1688F Rear carb is C1774F
36 WIP2 36 WIP3
1046821 1800118
28mm Choke 30mm
130 Main 142
50 Slow 45
50 Pump 70

Also the small balls are missing from the non-return valve underneath the accelerator pump discharge.
I will contact Bernd about acquiring two new throttle shafts and get replacement balls for the accelerator pump non-return valve.
Other than that and a good clean up with new gaskets, any other suggestions? Should I try to match the jets or just stick with the factory settings?

I'm not wanting to spend a ton on getting different carbs at this time, so hopefully they will work well enough for now.

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Here, this is a little easier to read

Front carb C1688F ------Rear carb is C1774F
36 WIP2--------------------- 36 WIP3
1046821--------- ------------1800118
28mm --------Choke-------- 30mm
130------------ Main---------- 142
50------------- Slow----------- 45
50 ------------Pump -----------70

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
Well on paper it looks ok, if I were to add conjecture, it would be based on progression between the carbs with different venturis.

I would pay close attention to balancing the carbs in terms of air flow, do you have access to a carb balancer for setting the throttle stops ??

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes. I bought a uni-syn to sync the carbs.
What impact would the absence of the balls in the non return valve have?

beamdream

Gold Level Sponsor
The balls prevent a drain back after the pump has discharged, there's also a check valve in the bottom of the float bowl which should hold a charge for the next discharge, check how effective the accelerator pump(s) are working.

The balls are 1/8 dia and most bearings suppliers sell them loose.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
You need new steel balls otherwise the accelerator pumps won't work properly. Here are pictures of my repro spindles:

IMG_20191219_220957.jpg IMG_20191219_221056.jpg

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
P.S. Accelerator roller lever not included, but you may reuse the one you have on your 1688 ...

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looks like a great matching pair now. Hope you will feel the performance improvement. On a side note and if you are not driving in cold weather leave the water pipe through the manifold disconnected. This requires that you replace the Y outlet in the water pump by single outlet ( same as the heater outlet on a spare cylinder head, plus a plug for the rear outlet ). You'll be surprised...

P.S. Interesting engine block you have. Never seen such an angled flange on the lower block next to the Dynamo...

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
I do plan on leaving the manifold heat disconnected, just in the process of fabricating a single outlet fitting.
The block is from a series II Rapier, or so I am told.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for posting the additional picture. 2 things to be mentioned here:

a) You are missing the fast idle lever/rod assy on the rear carb. Hope you can reuse the one from your replaced Zenith

b) You are fortunate to have the competition early airfilters without internal wire mesh. They are good for maximized airflow but almost no filtering. Furthermore they don't fit to 142 mains. Engine may lean out on higher revs. Either you install normal early series meshes or you go for 150 mains...

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
I looked at that. The fast idle rod on the front carb advances the throttle a small amount and with the linkage to the rear carb, it advances the rear throttle also. Is it necessary to have the rear rod installed as well? I don’t believe it was on the rear carb previously, but if required I can scavenge it off the old front carb.

The air filters do have a mesh in them. It is a black mesh so it is hard to see. What should the early filter mesh look like? I’m at work right now, but can take a picture of the mesh when I get home.