• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft Top screw sizes

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently purchased a Robbins top from SS along with all of the rubber bits to properly seal it. Watched the awesome video the folks at The Sunbeam Alpine Channel on YouTube posted in two parts. Big props to you folks on that!

What I need to know is, what are the correct screw sizes for the damn thing? I took off the old one I had and it's got an assortment of wtf sizes and head types (Phillips and flathead).

Sooo... what's the correct size? I'm assuming they're all supposed to be Phillips screw heads.

Thanks in advance.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
You have to look at the steel panel that they screw to. Yes, they are supposed to be a phillips head
but since our cars are the age they are, there have probably been many different tops put on
by just that many different installers. The holes have most probably enlarged, so you're going to
have to find what screw fits and holds. The only way to use the original type and size would be to weld all the
existing holes and drill new holes in the correct size.
Sorry for the long winded response, but use what fits and holds the top in. Unless your car is concours
quality, no one will notice as these aren't really seen.

Hope that helps.
Steve

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
I agree with Steve, I'm kind of like; I would like the "correct" part, but in this case, I also needed screws, and just chose the next size up with a nice phillips curved head and looks great. Most Sunbeam guys understand and go with it. Non Sunbeam guys ain't gonna know anyway. And if you do get the "anal" character that says your hogrings on the upholstery are not the right color, Welllllll , WTF.