• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top from a S-4 or 5 and Installing on a Series 3 - WON'T FIT

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
S-III bought without top or windshield. Installed a windshield and aquired a softtop from a S-4 or 5 (b-post hardware included).

Reading https://forum.sunbeamalpine.org/index.php?threads/soft-top-and-hard-top-alignment.30530/#post-224532
Set windshield to 29.5" , moved bottofront window guide fully forward and top guide adjustment didn't do much. The quarter window to frame looked good with windshield at 30".
1 (1).JPG1 (7).JPG

Even at 30+" the back is way off when the top horizontal frame pin is in the windshield receiver.

The hinge arm won't go forward enough to go into the b-post cap and the back edge of th window is way short at the bottom and still short at the top

1 (2).JPG1 (2).JPG 1 (6).JPG 1 (6).JPG

Is there a difference in the series III st top frame or b-post linkage? Any ideas on how to put a soft top on this car that fits? ...........Want to go to the invasion.

Attachments

• 1 (3).JPG
    1 (3).JPG
    562.5 KB · Views: 31

alpine_64

Donation Time
The tops are interchangeable

The issues is the pivot arms that come out of your B post will have been badly bent back by people forcing them down.

You need to bend them to bring the arm further forward.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Also your screen rake is too far back. Get the adjusters from sunbeam specialties or Dan R to adjust the outer screen ruts up and get a even gap to the 4 window

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Did you grind the padding off the bottom of the dash pad where it goes under the windshield frame? As Michael said, the frame is bent quite a bit. Kinda frustrating, but not insurmountable, you'll get it.

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Did you grind the padding off the bottom of the dash pad where it goes under the windshield frame? As Michael said, the frame is bent quite a bit. Kinda frustrating, but not insurmountable, you'll get it.
The dash pad is just moulded plastic, the end that goes under the windshiels is about 1/32" thick.
I thought the windshield was ok, if adjusted over 30" the window to windshield is even. I thought Michael said the pivot arms that come out of the B post were bent.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes the pivots are bent and will require straightening. One of the ways to stand the windshield up is to trim the front edge of the dash pad under the body to frame gasket. It may be 1/32" but multiply that by 12" to the top of the windshield. Also the adjuster nuts as mentioned replace the rubber wedges that were under the outside ends from the factory. I've never had to use those adjusters as I will use washers between the studs and body. Sunbeam Specialties includes a Tech sheet with the tops they sell regarding straightening the pivots. I'll see if I can dig 1 up and post it here.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Can you make a PDF of that documentation and post it? It would be useful to me, and also perhaps to many others. (Thanks!!)
It looks like the UK clubs "Alpine guide" I think it was available to saoca members a few years back when the clubs first starting formalising ties

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
When I have had issues like this I have removed the bolt that holds the top onto the hinge. I then positioned the top so that the vertical and horizontal bars are parallel to the edges of the glass, where they need to be, then I've bent the B Post hinge to fit. To me the windscreen looks to be slightly at the wrong angle and the B Post hinges are significantly bent but both issues are fairly easily fixed (even though it is a pain when you are the one doing it).
Tim R

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
When I have had issues like this I have removed the bolt that holds the top onto the hinge. I then positioned the top so that the vertical and horizontal bars are parallel to the edges of the glass, where they need to be, then I've bent the B Post hinge to fit. To me the windscreen looks to be slightly at the wrong angle and the B Post hinges are significantly bent but both issues are fairly easily fixed (even though it is a pain when you are the one doing it).
Tim R
This is the best idea. I took everything apart and straightened the bent part, didn't make ane difference. Over bent and a little difference.

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
When you took it all apart and had the top lined up with the window horizontal top and vertical rear was it possible to see how far out the hinge arm was and how much you needed to bend it forward? I don't understand why, if you straightened the bent piece, it didn't solve the problem.

Think of it this way, the front edge of that black hinged section needs to be at or close to the front edge of the slot in the Chrome B post cap. When it is there your soft top will be close to fitting. Get that right and you will be nearly there.
Tim R