• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Soft top bow seal - to glue or not to glue

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

The weather strip seal on my soft top bow has popped out. The is the seal that goes in the track that is pop riveted to the the soft top bow. I painstakingly slid the seal in the track from one end using a soapy water solution. Due to competing with the pop rivet heads, this took quite a while. But I didn't use any glue because I wouldn't know how to put it in after sliding the seal in the track. It would seem the only way to use an adhesive would be to NOT install the seal by sliding down the track from one end to the other, but using some other technique to get the seal in the track. This thing sure is fiddly because you are also fighting with the fact that the seal has a groove that has to fit along the edge with the soft top material wrapped around it. At least with the door perimeter and window seals you can work them in with a tool or slide them in, then pop out in sections to slap some adhesive in the track.

What is the proper way for the soft top bow seal to be installed and adhered?

Thank you
Rick

alpine_64

Donation Time
Rick, not sure there is a "proper" way. I put mine on with glue and put the leading edge of the profile into the channel on the header rail then used a small plastic spatula to lever the other side into the channel working my way along. Did the same with the door seals... Many years later all still in the channels

65beam

Donation Time
I've found that the header bow seal will stick to the windshield if left up for a long period of time and if the seal is not glued it tends to come loose. This applies to hard tops too. As far as the door seals we don't use glue if the channel is in good shape. The seals being sold by some suppliers are not the right profile or size. Classic and SS have the correct seal while others sell something for use on many marques. I've seen many cars with the door seals installed in the wrong way so check the tabs to make sure they are in the correct position since the tabs are slightly different as is the channel. Here's a photo of a door seal correctly installed.107_0570.JPG

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always used contact cement to hold that seal in. It'll never stay on there due to the nature of
the top operation and the way the seal hits the top of the windscreen. I tried using no glue on my black
car as the channel is like new. I rarely put the top up this time of year, so currently my seal resides
in the trunk! I'll wait until the end of summer before I re-install the seal.
Cheers!
Steve

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
I use contact cement available at the local hardware store. They sell small bottles with a brush attached to the bottle cap.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Hmmm, I would think it would be a little "Sticky" (pun intended) using Contact Cement. Takes a little time to get everything in position correctly. Doesn't Contact Cement adhere on Contact? Wouldn't you just use Trim adhesive? Me thinks a little more working time would be desired..

rixter

Gold Level Sponsor
Ok, good information. So what about weather strip adhesive? I have contact cement here as I used that to glue on the soft top material. But I also have weather strip adhesive. Maybe weather strip adhesive is more for when you are gluing to a surface where a channel is not present. I think if used properly... (thin application on both sides, allow to get tacky, another thin application on the rubber, then apply), it may work the same as the contact cement.

Thank you
Rick

65beam

Donation Time
I think this is a "use what you want, call it what you want" as long as it holds the rubber in place. I have a tube of weather strip glue in the cabinet. I used it on the RHD for extra hold power of the rubber around the top. I guess it all boils down to what makes you feel good.