• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Smith 5452 Motor Rebuild - Rotor Shaft Won't Seat at right height

CV428

Donation Time
I disassembled the original Smith 5452 blower motor that was not running smoothly. The rotor shaft had some surface corrosion and there was debris in the casing and bronze bearings. The output shaft bearing was seized onto the shaft. After cleaning everything, I started to reassemble and seat the brushes. When I went to place the brush assembly back over the rotor and commutator, I noticed that the brushes no longer lined up with the right spot on the commutator- it's almost like the rotor needs to be spaced up about 1/4" in the casing. The rotor is properly seating in the lower (blind) bearing, and there is no adjustment or spacer. The brush assembly cannot be reversed or flipped due to the length of the wires to the stator, and the plastic spacers are fully seated.

I spent an hour studying it and just couldn't figure out what was going on. Any thoughts? I'll try to get some pictures together.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Have a look at this video...

You'll see there are a few washers that are fitted on either end of the rotor. Did you have these? On her motor there are two on either end, but I've seen motors where there are more on one end than the other - it's all down to the proper alignment of the commutator with the brushes.

CV428

Donation Time
Have a look at this video...

You'll see there are a few washers that are fitted on either end of the rotor. Did you have these? On her motor there are two on either end, but I've seen motors where there are more on one end than the other - it's all down to the proper alignment of the commutator with the brushes.

I was actually watching that same video to make sure I didn't miss anything. Both the flat and spring washer are still present on both sides of the rotor shaft. You can even see the wear strip on the commutator from the brushes, but when I re-assemble everything, the commutator is 1/4" below the brushes. Here's the crazy part: If I were to put in a 1/4" spacer, the shaft wouldn't engage with the lower bearing.

CV428

Donation Time
Problem solved... The stator was somehow shifted in the casing and I did not notice until this morning - it must have drawn up away from the lower case half while I was trying to get the brush housing installed. I wound up making a small jig in the bench vise to hold the assembly together so I could reinstall the brush housing properly. If anyone runs into this issue, double check the stator depth in the case.