• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SMALL BLOCK INTO ALPINE, water pump question

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
SMALL BLOCK INTO ALPINE, water pump question: is the 302 water pump LONGER than a 289 pump?? 302 engine is installed in proper position, and seems there is only 2" between water pump nose "Shaft" (tip that goes into the fan) and radiator support ! should be around 4-5", should there not ?? need some input here. Thanks

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Similar problem with the early 2.8 and late 2.8 water pumps. The timing covers are a tab different in design and the water pumps are different in lengths. Which is the "Major" reason why the Mutt II is preferred over the Ranger/Bronco II.

Best to follow any prior written instructions before starting off into the unknown:)

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I would search some Mustang sites. From what I’ve read, 289, 302, and 351W use the same water pump across several years. It also looks like the timing chain covers could be swapped amount them to use other pumps, although accessory mountings may be different. On some the outlet is on the opposite side.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
SMALL BLOCK INTO ALPINE, water pump question: is the 302 water pump LONGER than a 289 pump?? 302 engine is installed in proper position, and seems there is only 2" between water pump nose "Shaft" (tip that goes into the fan) and radiator support ! should be around 4-5", should there not ?? need some input here. Thanks
I don't think there's any difference in the pumps, but then I could be wrong,the only difference is in the outlet passenger or driver side.
I'm using a serpentine drive off a V8 Explorer which is a short pump also reverse rotation.
I would check with Stewart Components in Escanaba Mich. The'll have all the answers. Edelbrock and Miladon also make pumps, cheap to talk to the tech guys at those places. Also your using a plate which will move the pump forward,if you mounted it like I think you may have?

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Similar problem with the early 2.8 and late 2.8 water pumps. The timing covers are a tab different in design and the water pumps are different in lengths. Which is the "Major" reason why the Mutt II is preferred over the Ranger/Bronco II.
Where are the instructions for putting a
Best to follow any prior written instructions before starting off into the unknown:)
I didn't know there were instructions to put a V8 in an Alpine

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
The stock water pump gets the flange pushed in to match the shallower lower pulley on a stock Tiger. I've also cut down the shaft on a Ranchero as well mostly cause I put in a bigger deeper radiator.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
OK, thanks, "appears to be" I need to locate the radiator farther forward. Took "measurements off Jerry's car, and engine placement and waterpump snout are in the same location. thanks again

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
OK, thanks, "appears to be" I need to locate the radiator farther forward. Took "measurements off Jerry's car, and engine placement and waterpump snout are in the same location. thanks again

The radiator is not moved forward in a factory Tiger and there is room for the standard OEM Ford water pump mounted fan.

Either you have a longer than normal water pump or you have your engine mounted further forward than the engine location in a factory Tiger.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
must be the water pump then, because the Engine itself is exactly in the right place. this is a 1972 maverick 302, not a 289. (should be the same dimensions though) I would think. I'll work it out.It will not get a "mechanical fan", and the electric Fan will be a "push fan" mounted in front

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
must be the water pump then, because the Engine itself is exactly in the right place. this is a 1972 maverick 302, not a 289. (should be the same dimensions though) I would think. I'll work it out.It will not get a "mechanical fan", and the electric Fan will be a "push fan" mounted in front

** Maybe someone can POST a "measurement" for me ??? from the Carburetor "Stud" to the edge if the Cowl lip .** Thanks

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
There are aftermarket "shorty" V belt water pumps. 1 1/2" shorter. Have to use matching pulley and crank pulley.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
As Warren says the Tiger water pump flange is pushed inboard

Get a 65 Mustang aluminium timing chain cover with the dipstick in the cover, and 65 Mustang aluminium water pump. Push the flange inboard to about 4mm clearance to the pump body. This will place the pump in the correct tiger position. The pump snout is not in the way but if it bothers you cut it off.

Your next problem is alignment of the crank and alternator pullies

I made these pullies and alternator bracket for my Tiger to address all these issues
IMG_20190913_173017239.jpg

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the flange you are referring to? Is it the part on the shaft that the pulley bolts to?

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
I haven't as yet gotten ANY Pulleys I have the stock 72 maverick crank pulley that came with the engine core. I alternator mounting will not be a problem, I will make and mount it "as needed. ( Remember, Nothing about this setup needs to even "resemble Looking "stock). aligning the water pump pulley should be stock to 72 maverick. I (if needed) change the water pump, but NOT the timing cover.( I am using an engine plate (between the water pump and timing cover.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
I haven't as yet gotten ANY Pulleys I have the stock 72 maverick crank pulley that came with the engine core. I alternator mounting will not be a problem, I will make and mount it "as needed. ( Remember, Nothing about this setup needs to even "resemble Looking "stock). aligning the water pump pulley should be stock to 72 maverick. I (if needed) change the water pump, but NOT the timing cover.( I am using an engine plate (between the water pump and timing cover.

I woke up in the middle of the night thinking that I had described how to do it like a Tiger with the early style timing cover and pump.
You can keep the 72 timing chain cover and stock cast pump, and assuming the Tiger pullies, all you need to do is push the fan flange on the pump shaft inboard.
If you are using different pullies, or a 4 bolt dampner, then it is a different story...................

Last edited:

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
wouldn't the waterpump have to be completely dis assembled to able to move the flange back. (round 1/4" plate that the fan bolts to)?