• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIV originality: 3 vs 2 ear knockoff spinners

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Did SIV's with wire wheels come from the factory with 2 ear or 3 ear knockoffs ??

Thanks in advance,

Allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Allan,

There are no factory 2 ear spinners.. they were either the inward facing 3 ear design or the hex nut. After S3 there should only be the hex style, but in some markets they SII's even had hex nuts.

Rootes angled them in for safety so passers by didnt hurt their shins.. i want to know why someone is that close to my car... not to mention they are harder to put on that the more conventional outward facing spinners.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Micahel,

Thanks!

I'll keep searching, try and find whether the 3 ear style carried over for a short while into the early sIV, otherwise will accept that the wrong spinners are on the Airpine :) ..

Allan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Micahel,

Thanks!

I'll keep searching, try and find whether the 3 ear style carried over for a short while into the early sIV, otherwise will accept that the wrong spinners are on the Airpine :) ..

Allan

The 3 ears do look nicer though... and if you really dont mind.. go for 3 eared outward facing from a healey or jag :)

mikephillips

Donation Time
When replacing spinners you will need a 42mm diameter one with fine threads. Jag spinners for example are 54mm and won't fit the Alpine. Some MG do, but you have to check the thread count since they used but 12 tpi and 8 tpi, there should be a number stamped or cast onside the center of the spinner identifying them.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I found a reference in the Workshop Manual 124, 2nd reissue p3 section L, that states B9101257 and later had octagonal hubs.

The WSM statement under Wire Wheels is that Series II up to October 1960 had the 3 ear knockoff (lug type hub nuts on splined hubs), but S3 and later had the octagonal hub nuts.

So the eared knockoffs are factory for SII but not for S3 or later apparently...

Allan

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I just came across this thread. I thought I'd point out that most factory Alpine race cars had the two ear, outward pointing spinners. I agree with Michael about how close someone needs to be to get hit by the ears. If anything, I'd be more worried that their foot is going to go under the tire at that point.