• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIV Dip Switch

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The SIV arrived with no headlight dimmer switch.

Today I affixed a bracket and switch, wired it up, o happy day ! now I can dim or brighten the head lights :)

But somewhere I saw a dimmer switch with a rubber "cover" instead of bare metal.

Did the factory affix a rubber or other "cap" to the metal dimmer switch ??

TIA.

Allan

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey Allan, The Series I , II and 3 had the rubber covers according to the parts manual. I have two Series 3's with the rubber covers. They get worn out so easy that most cars do not have them. I'm not sure about a Series IV or V cars.

Cheers,

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks guys.

I did a double-check to see the photo in the parts manual; had not thought a picture of the cover was included.

Allan

howard

Donation Time
My SIV still has the rubber cover on the switch. It's very worn, and occasionally gets kicked loose, but it's there.

lloydel

Donation Time
can switch be fixed?

I opened the forum today to ask a question about the headlight dimmer switch, and behold, it is the first topic.

The switch in my Series 1 does does not switch to high. Is it possible to open and repair the switch? I don't see a replacement available at Sunbeam Specialties.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Nickodell

Donation Time
Someone may correct me, but my feeling is that even if you could get the switch open, it's unlikely to be repairable, any more than tumbler switches are.

But before you start messing with the switch, or looking for a replacement, first make sure the fault is in there, and not in the wiring from the switch to the HL high beams. With a voltmeter it will be easy to find out if the high beam output registers volts when operated. If it does, the fault is in the wiring somewhere downstream from the switch.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Lloydel,
I had a simular problem with my Series IV, It was the wiring from the dip switch to the head lights. Rewired it and now it works fine.
Just my 2 cents worth.:D