• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIII Steering Column Leaking fluid

bdh911

Silver Level Sponsor
i came in from a drive and found fluid on my shoe. Traced it to the top of the steering column just inside the dash where it appears to be weeping out the top of the steering column tube. I have a stock steering column but have changed to a wooden wheel so lost column adjustability but otherwise nothing else changes in the restoration. Thoughts?

bdh911

Silver Level Sponsor
DanR - worried about brake fluid but haven’t figured out how that could be possible in that location. Very strange place for me to be getting fluid at all so I’m continuing to try to hunt it down.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Toyanvil asked if the bushing/bearing had been oiled..... I noted you said the steering wheel had been changed out.... Did you or someone else change the wheel? If someone else did is it possible they oiled the upper bushing?

Can you post a couple pictures that will depict the leak?

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Have you checked for a leak from the oil pressure gauge which is located above the steering column?

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
I would check the pipe to the oil pressure gauge as suggested as that would potentially put a fluid in that position to leak down the column. Other options could be a leaking drain pipe from the scuttle, a leaking windscreen washer pipe or leaks from where the pedals go to the clutch and brake masters.
Tim R.

65beam

Donation Time
Lots of speculation but would be a lot easier to determine where it's coming from if you knew what the fluid is. Make that determination first and then look for the leak.

bdh911

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for all the idea/thoughts. I’ll squeeze back under there again and see if I can sort out what the fluid is and check a couple of these options