• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SIII GT owners, Another Solex Question

lemansvk

Donation Time
A friend of mine is restoring 1963 Humber Vogue Sports - a rare car sold only in Australia. Basically it's a Singer Vogue II with the Solex-carbed alloy head Alpine motor (plus brake booster, wider wheels and lowered suspension mods). He is looking for a rubber connection piece that joins the Solex to the air filter body. Here are some pics of his old one, rather than try to describe it:

AVogueCarbyIntake1.jpg
AVogueCarbyIntake2.jpg
AVogueCarbyIntake3.jpg

We thought that it might be possible that this piece was also used on a Solex equipped Alpine model. I asked Rick at SS and he wasn't sure but said it might have been used on the SIII GT model.

If anyone recognises this part and knows of a source for it can you let me know. Oh, and if anyone in Australia knows of a Vogue Sports just lying around somewhere I'd like to hear about that too - main clue to them is the early bodyshape (wraparaound rear window) with the alloy head motor, confirmation is the body number starting 'VS'.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,Vic

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Vic,

I don't know whether I will be able to help you that much, but did the solex adaptor fit on to a canister-type filter housing? The Alpines used a few types of air cleaner setup, but as you know there was the issue of space in the engine bay.

Regards, Robin.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Unfortunatly, that is not from the Alpine. There were two different air hoses for the canister on the Series III, both were longer as shown. They are very hard to find, in fact, I had mine sent all the way from your neck of the woods.

img036.jpg

img035.jpg

88030e82.jpg

lemansvk

Donation Time
Thanks Paul and Robin (and everyone else who looked),

One of my other hunches paid off, it turns out to be the same as on the Humber Sceptre (which we didn't get down under).

Cheers, Vic