• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

SII Steering colmn top felt bush

Limey

Donation Time
Hi All,

My steering wheel jiggles up and down on idle which I can trace to a worn top of column felt bush

I've attached pics. 3 questions
1) Can this part still be sourced?
2) What do you replace it with if it can't be sourced?
3)Can I fit this with the column in place

Many thanks!!

Oliver

Attachments

• Bsh 3.JPG
    Bsh 3.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 37
  • Bush 4.JPG
    Bush 4.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Bush 2.JPG
    Bush 2.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Bush 1.JPG
    Bush 1.JPG
    257 KB · Views: 38
  • Bush pic.JPG
    Bush pic.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Here is what I have for my Electric Power Steering Systems (EPS).

My good friend Bill Blue made a bushing and a sleeve to slip on the Steering Inner shaft that replaced the original pieces that are basically non-existent.

The Blue Glue only takes a tiny bit on the shaft to hold the sleeve in place. the Plastic bushing slips into the outer steering housing and serves as a replacement for the ball bearings and the cage.

Attachments

• EPS upper outer column with bushing   20181031_163755.jpg
    EPS upper outer column with bushing 20181031_163755.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 35
  • Upper shaft with bushing for ALpine steering.jpg
    Upper shaft with bushing for ALpine steering.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 36
  • EPS High Temp Sleeve retainer  20181031_163915.jpg
    EPS High Temp Sleeve retainer 20181031_163915.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 36

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Oliver, Can you provide the OD for the shaft and the ID for the outer Column?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The design of the early and late (adjustable) steering columns are different. For early design you need the felt bush as shown on the pictures. There is no Top bearing that's why properly pre - greased felt is essential.
Oliver: You may try Speedy's. Sometimes they have surprising stuff left over ;-)
If nothing can be found you may try a turned to size nylon or POM bush. Should do perfectly...

Last edited:

Limey

Donation Time
Here is what I have for my Electric Power Steering Systems (EPS).

My good friend Bill Blue made a bushing and a sleeve to slip on the Steering Inner shaft that replaced the original pieces that are basically non-existent.

The Blue Glue only takes a tiny bit on the shaft to hold the sleeve in place. the Plastic bushing slips into the outer steering housing and serves as a replacement for the ball bearings and the cage.

Hi Dan and many thanks for answering so swiftly. Looking at the pic. of the telescopic column, am I safe to assume that a re made collar can be fitted with the column in situ? Is it just a matter of bullying out the old cap and felt collar?

Cheers
Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
The design of the early and late (adjustable) steering columns are different. For the early design you need the felt bush as shown on the pictures. There is no Top bearing that's why properly pre - greased felt is essential here. If the felt bush is worn the bespoken wiggling of the steering wheel will occure.
Oliver: You may try Speedy's. Sometimes they have surprising stuff left over ;-)
If nothing can be found you may try a turned to size nylon or POM bush. Should do perfectly...

Limey

Donation Time
The design of the early and late (adjustable) steering columns are different. For early design you need the felt busy as shown on the pictures. There is no Top bearing that's why properly pre - greased felt is essential.

Thanks Bernd!
I can do this with the column in place?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly you can replace the felt bush with the column in place. But it requires some fiddling to get it pushed inside properly. If you have a spare column even better...

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can do this with the column in place?

I see no reason why you should have to dismantle the steering.

Just the the wheel and turn signal seems to me all needed. Could be wrong of course. Been wrong before:)

I asked for dimension in the above post. Might be very valuable in assistance.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yes, believe the rivet holds the felt outer metal collar. Since it's you :rolleyes: have just made a nice reference picture incl. dimensions of an NOS felt bush here:

IMG_20191124_215743.jpg

Rem: Oops the angle @ drawn position must read 135° ...

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I am rebuilding a series 2 steering box now, and here is how mine is. The rivet did not hold the felt in, it just slides in and slides out. I will be turning a nylon bushing for mine. OD 1.00 shaft is .75 bushing is 1.50 long. If you use felt, just get .125 thick.
The hole at 3:00 is where the rivet is, mine is still in place.
RIMG1257-L.jpg

RIMG1258-L.jpg

Limey

Donation Time
You lot are fantastic!! A POM bush would be the best for those doing mileage and would be easier to fit but I'll try the felt first. I guess it's not just thickness but 'hardness' as well. I'm suprised a bush is not for sale through the usual Alpine spares outlets...

Limey

Donation Time
I see no reason why you should have to dismantle the steering.

Just the the wheel and turn signal seems to me all needed. Could be wrong of course. Been wrong before:)

I asked for dimension in the above post. Might be very valuable in assistance.
Looks like Toyanvil and Bernd have done the measuring and sketching for us:)
''I will be turning a nylon bushing for mine. OD 1.00 shaft is .75 bushing is 1.50 long. If you use felt, just get .125 thick.
The hole at 3:00 is where the rivet is, mine is still in place.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver, very welcome - as always...

Yes ,the felt must be pretty stiff in order not to collapse once pushed home plus giving proper support for the steering shaft. If you find a proper source for the felt material in UK , pls. let me know. Think we should do a repro run accordingly:rolleyes:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I can't believe a piece of felt is or was designed by Rootes to serve as a bearing to support the steering in their cars.

I believe the felt is for prevention of foreign matter entering the sleeve/shaft surface. Is there any thing written in the form of Rootes Documentation supporting that idea?

If the "felt" is in fact a support in the form of a bearing, them as Toyanvil has provided for a replacement and I too in my Electric Power Steering (EPS), a sleeve and a bushing seems most practical as a replacement as well as a definitely long term solution.

Limey

Donation Time
Oliver, very welcome - as always...

Yes ,the felt must be pretty stiff in order not to collapse once pushed home plus giving proper support for the steering shaft. If you find a proper source for the felt material in UK , pls. let me know. Think we should do a repro run accordingly:rolleyes:

Hi Bernd,

I have found a supplier and I think they are perfect.

https://www.anglotechnicaltextiles.co.uk/wool-felt/

They supply many types at different densities and thicknesses but as wholesaler they may prefer to supply large amounts only. Anyway I ordered up 4 free samples of different types from them today which I hope will a) show us the right type and b) be big enough to do my steering.;)

I have to say that the POM bush must be the way to go as it can be changed easily with the shaft in place in the column (once you have dug out the old one)
They do do a 'stiffened' felt which may resist crushing but I don't know as yet
I have my doubts as to how easy it will be to push the new felt bush into place with everything in situ. It will be a tight fit and I ecpect the felt to crush. A POM one could be tapped on.

Any one got a lathe?

Thanks as always

Oliver

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Oliver,

that company looks very good to me. As said and since we like it original I'm very interested to start a proper repro.

Think we all agree that a POM bush would be better and easier to handle. A matching needle roller bearing would be the ultimate - of course. Have just found one matching the Tiger column but haven't checked it's potential fit for the early series. Interesting topic - Need to investigate more...