• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shocks Again

Derek

Donation Time
I'm looking for shocks for the 67 SV and seem to find limited options.
1) go cheap
2) Spax, now $600
3) KONI, no one wants to say how much !

Does anyone have a middle solution, or good results from the pricier options. I have searched the forum but other than a couple of threads (one my own) there is not much on the subject

Thanks Derek

alpine_64

Donation Time
I believe CAT club are having a run of edelbrock shocks done. The there are the gabriels, and KYB that will also fit.

Jeb Stuart

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have the Spax and have had them for years. I had to adapt the front mounts on my SIII to fit them. I have them on a very low setting because they are too stiff otherwise. On a similar note. I am thinking of reinstalling my rear sway bar. I thought it made the back suspension too stiff but later realized I had the Spax set on a high adjustment setting. I think the Spax were meant for a heavier car. They work great for me but maybe the Alpine would work better w/ another type - I guess that what's you're trying to find out. I'll be interested to read other input.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Jeb: The usual complaint about rear sway bars is that (unless originally fitted) they tend to produce unacceptable oversteer.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Derek, I have Monroe gas shocks for a 68 Chevy Camaro on my car. Work pretty good on the street, cost about $110 for the set. But it really depends what you are looking for. If you want Koni performance, better be prepared to pay the Koni price.

Bill

lemansvk

Donation Time
The questions are, what do you use the car for and what do you expect from your shocks? If it's a low mileage weekend cruiser, or even if it's a daily driver then there are gas shocks that fit and work well enough for about $25 each (like Bill's Monroes). If you hammer it hard on street or track then you should think about Koni's

Cheers, Vic

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Shock Absorber Interchange

First printed 4/87

What shock will fit on the Alpine/Tiger (as compared to other cars)-
Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on. The Gabriel "Adjustable E" models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Front Rear
Sears # 79281 Ford Truck '50-'74
Full size Buick '65-'70 Lincoln '52-'54
Buick Riviera '66-'70 Corvette '60-'62
Cadillac '65-'76 Olds Vista Cruiser '63

With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied

Just a warning here: I went down this path a few years ago and ran into two problems. First, pressing the bushings out of the shocks turned out to be next to impossible. They were bonded in. I got them out eventually, but then ran into the next problem: my old bushings didn't fit. I tried like hell to find new bushings somewhere, but couldn't. In the end, I returned the three shocks I hadn't played with (I started with the rears) and sold the one without a bushing on eBay for about a $10 loss.

I may have ordered the wrong ones and its been too long to know what I bought, but this approach didn't work out for me.