• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shock absorbers

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
After spending two weeks under the Alpine fixing the diff, I got a good look at my shocks and can see the end is near. Any opinions on a good replacement? Not top dollar racing but good quality, medium range and up priced ones. Adjustable would be nice but not sure how much time I would actually spend changing the ride. A little info, everything on the car is original meaning not replaced yet that I can see. Front end is getting a little worn but still pretty good, springs are the same it was built with. Given the rust on the shocks, I think they might have come over on the boat too. (BTW, Jeez is this car smoother and quieter with the diff repaired)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tracy, I put 68 Camaro GasMatic gas shocks on my car. About $100 for a set of 4 from Advance Auto. I like them. But this is a car that may put a thousand miles behind it in a long weekend. They do a good job of taking the hard edge off of bumps, yet offer good control. If you are looking for a "touring" ride, they are good. If you are looking for the ultimate in performance, never mind.

Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Geez
Hey, here is a unique thought.....buy the correct set of shocks for the Alpine (made for specifically for the Alpine's suspension), so they match the car's parameters and not from some OTHER CAR!

alpine_64

Donation Time
If you want adjustable the Koni and Spax are the natural choice.. Koni are expensive but they are rebuildable.. the down side.. the rebuilds cost about as much as new spax.

The other thing is both are now adjustable by knobs on the shock so can be adjusted on the car. Both are also made for the alpines/tigers.

The other option is CAT had some edelbrock gas shocks made especialy for the sunbeams.

I have spax on my Alpine and Tiger .. they suit me just fine.

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Geez
Hey, here is a unique thought.....buy the correct set of shocks for the Alpine (made for specifically for the Alpine's suspension), so they match the car's parameters and not from some OTHER CAR!

Geez Jan,
I've been around English cars for a while and know that many parts stores stock shocks that are made lord knows where listed as just the thing for my 40 year old car. Would like to know what actual owners have bought and used and have been satisfied with. I am not an expert in anything car related but have bought "just the right thing" from reputable parts guys and have been disappointed in the product. Once I found out the part was made in Israel from old patterns that had been copied from supposedly original parts (It wasn't and the parts dealer is a good guy I would buy from again) It is not an unreasonable question.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tracy,
There are no "generic" brand shocks absorbers. You're a looney if you think a shock from a 3700lb car will work just fine on a 2000lb Alpine. WHY? The shock's internal dampening parameters are "tuned" for the auto it was made for (If you don't believe me, ask Mr Doug Jennings at Tiger Auto)
HOWEVER, I understand at this point in time, finding parts for the Alpine are getting critical and if the new part's quality are below standards, and you're left with pretty much no options, then do what you can, I guess.
I don't think we are there yet, as many vendors still have quality parts for our Alpines....(Thank God)
Jan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, not all shock absorbers are "tuned' the same. A shock "tuned" for a mushy ride on a 3700 pound car can perform quite nicely on a 2500 pound car. Believe me, my car does not ride as hard as a stock Alpine.

Here's a question for you: If a shock is "tuned" for use in an Alpine, why make it adjustable?

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Here's a question for you: If a shock is "tuned" for use in an Alpine, why make it adjustable?

Bill
because that way people can play aroud with their car and think they are making it betetr or worse... or you can compensate for a very big lunch.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
What shock will fit on the Alpine/Tiger (as compared to other cars)?

Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the
Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on.

The Gabriel “Adjustable E” models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Front Rear
Sears # 79281 Ford Truck ‘50-’74
Full size Buick ‘65-’70 Lincoln ‘52-’54
Buick Riviera ‘66-’70 Corvette ‘60-’62
Cadillac ‘65-’76 Olds Vista Cruiser ‘63

With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied.

:cool:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I understand the difference between a full size car and an Alpine, weight, etc., is why I asked. The British parts dealers generally stock the cheap standard generic (the last set of those I bought for a different car were total garbage) or $150+ per shock high performance Spax or Koni. Nothing in between. I can go to Napa and they will list a shock but I seriously doubt any manufacturer is wasting any time on Alpines so how they qualify them for us is unknown to me. I don't want the bottom end for my car and cannot afford the top. Am not racing or autocrossing, just touring. So, for our cars, what has worked for the Members? I have recieved some good thoughts and thank every one for the help.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
There are some interesting articles regarding shocks in Circle Track magazine.

http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/139_0307_shock_absorber_tech/index.html

Clearly you want the best performance possible but remember shocks are tuned for different results. For example Gabriel probably sets their shock valving to provide a comfortable ride - still does the job of damping and controling rebound. Konis and Spax are for a different purpose.

I question how well design shocks sold by VB or others are "tuned" for the Alpine and for what type of driving. As Jan has a point you should buy shocks tuned for an Alpine but you are at the mercy of their purchasing person and how particular they are.

I suspect only Koni, Spax, and maybe KYB have shocks specific for the Alpine.

Here's an interesting thought....I think this would make a great Invasion project - it would take a good bit of coordination...Have a selection of shocks for a SV and do an evalution. For example:

Monroe
KYB
Koni
Woodhill (?)
Others?

Make sure they are all shocks readily available. Then just have 3-4 drivers run identical routes on roads and a small slalom in a parking lot and give their opinion. Change shocks and do it again. Setup a rating system.

It could be a fun project.

Steve

PS:
- I have used the Monroes for a buick (f) and chevette (R) and they are OK for the road. THey do the job
- Koni Classics are good performance but I could only see using the soft setting for a driver
- Eldebrock are OK but for on the road I almost think the Monroes would be just as adequate.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve, while changing shocks would be interesting and perhaps gather the most data, I think just swapping Alpines that are shocked differently would serve almost as well for most. Maybe simply taking folks for a ride in various cars over the same course would suffice, as most who are interested seem to talking about Sunday drivers, not competition cars.

All in all, the comparison idea sounds very interesting.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
shocks

As to tuning, its just a matter of valving, most of the shocks used in the past
have been a matter of getting a shock that fits the closed and open postion
to match what you had before, a good case in point the demon tweek of the gabriel adjustomatics on the rear and koni's on the front of a Tiger Im with
Jan get the correct shock for the application, I'm using QA1's by the way
single adjustable rebound and bump they are the carrera people also.

albeam

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

Do you have a part number for the spax
shockers you have used on your tiger or a good
recommendation for something to suit
a seriesIV alpine. Not competition just a
good "brisk" touring drive if that makes
sense.

Albeam

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Michael,

Do you have a part number for the spax
shockers you have used on your tiger or a good
recommendation for something to suit
a seriesIV alpine. Not competition just a
good "brisk" touring drive if that makes
sense.

Albeam

Albeam,

I don thave the part nu,bers on me (if i had seen this post earlier today i could have checked the car) but the spax are readily available from Sunbeam Specialties and Victoria British.. you can also buy direct from SPax UK i believe.

As for decent ride.. i used some monroes on another alpine SIV.. but that was long ago.. so dont have any references.. i would stick weith the spax.. they are a good solution. Otherwise speak to sunbeam specialties about what their other options are.

As a side note.. if the difference is only a few dollars.. buy from sunbeam specialties or classic sunbeam.. we need to support these guys.. every part we buy for a few more $ from them that we could get elsewhere ensures a part that we cant get anywhere else that is sunbeam specific stays available.. just my .02c

alpine_64

Donation Time
I just browsed the catalogues i have..

SS dont seem to have the spax .. but have Konis
front: $146each
back: $146 each

stock type (assume fluid not gas)
front: $28.55each
back: $28.55each

VB have the spax:
front: $270pair
back: $260pair

As a side note.. this came fomr a tiger person:

I just got a complete car set of adjustable shocks for my 65 MK I
directly from SPAX in the UK. Total cost, including shipping, was about
$450. You can see what SPAX sells from their website (I think it is
www.spaxperformance.com). FYI the Tiger is listed under Talbot as a
Talbot Sunbeam Alpine Tiger in their product list. You cannot get the SPAX
web site to allow a sales transaction to the US because the shipping
cost calculator does not work for N. America. You will have to
contact them directly by phone or email. Shipping was about $85 of the cost.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I just browsed the catalogues i have..

stock type (assume fluid not gas)
front: $28.55each
back: $28.55each

I've put these on mine. I haven't put too many miles on yet. The front seem ok, but the back seem a bit hard for how light the rear end is.

Ron

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Wonder what SS means when they say "New Konis". The "classics" were selling in the $225-250/each range. The "new konis" aren't much better price wise at $185/each but would save some money.

To me the Konis were the best option for perfomance.

Wow, VB seems to markup substantially!

Steve