• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

shifter control assembly

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
With the transmission out for seal replacements, I have disassembled the shift lever and lower dust cover from the shift control housing. Question is on lubrication: selector rod from the shift lever, it passes through a couple of bush areas. : the small ball and spring on the lower knuckle of the shift lever. What lubricants are suitable for these locations?
Also, the spring and sleeve ( cup ) assembly to the side of the shift lever knuckle, is that sleeve (cup) supposed to move in and out? If so mine is seized and I'll have to get it released and lubricated.
Bob

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've always used just a good all purpose grease. Seems to last too.
Cheers!
Steve

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Just need to know about the spring and sleeve assembly to the side of the shifter. Is that sleeve in the shift housing supposed to move? If so mine is siezed. I'll have to free it up. Any word on it's operation?
Thanks BobIMG_2204.JPG

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That plunger is the reverse lock-out and should never be seized up. I would clean everything and even polish the plunger. Lube it up good
Jan

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks Jan. I may have to apply a little heat. I've WD 40'd it and tapped on it, but no movement yet.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
tender work getting that sleeve out. But it's done. As you said Jan, I'll have to polish and lube.