• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shelby Tiger Prototype & Harrington LeMans commonality !?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks for the hint. Let me know once it's online. I have an original RHD one but the formica is unfortunately broken into 2 big chunks...

P.S. Did anybody ever find formica which looks as an original. There are many wood designs but none really comes close. At least I didn't find one yet...

65beam

Donation Time
Thanks for the hint. Let me know once it's online. I have an original RHD one but the formica is unfortunately broken into 2 big chunks...

P.S. Did anybody ever find formica which looks as an original. There are many wood designs but none really comes close. At least I didn't find one yet...
I doubt that you'll ever find something current that will match something made 57 years ago. Tiger Tom removed the original formica from the dash and used the same veneer that he used when he made the dash for my fastback. It came out nice until his neighbor applied a coating over the veneer and it soaked thru and dissolved the glue. There wasn't enough veneer to redo so I sent info to SS and Rick had the dash made. The Harrington lettering, etc. are different than a regular Alpine. The steering wheel shown above is a Les Leston that I bought in the U.K. It's been so many years that I don't remember. The wheel that came with this car was sold to a friend in Cincinnati for use in a LeMans that he restored.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I fear that you may be right. Even the formica split from the original bakelite over time so veneering might not be a good idea. I made a dashboard from plywood and may put veneer on it. At least it should work much better. Alternatively I have one of the usual walnut reproes with a glovebox. But as you stated the proper letterings won't be available. Hmm. How much did Rick charge you for the repro ? PM please...