• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Shaving Oil

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My uncle ran out of shaving cream and tried using olive oil. It worked great, he told me to try it. The stuff is hands down, the best shaving aid I've ever used. But it is not perfect, it is so thin it runs through and off of, my fingers while applying it.

Any ideas on a good material to thicken the stuff?

Bill

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
How about mixing it with some shaving cream! If you ever try Marvel Mystery Oil, you'll never go back to olive.

KenDemp

Donation Time
I have not tried this for shaving, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I am a physical therapist, and need massage oil on occasion. I used to use a cheap lotion that I got comped by a drug rep. When I ran out of that, I got the store brand fragrance free hand lotion, but I didn't like how it left my hands greasy in a way that wouldn't wash off. A massage therapist friend told me about a concoction that she uses: grape seed oil with a couple of squirts of the hand lotion, mixed very imprecisely at maybe 10:1, 15:1. You have to shake it up each time you use it, and it looks absolutely disgusting, but I think it would give you the texture you are looking for. I got a little hand soap dispenser at the dollar store. Grape seed oil has no fragrance or flavor like olive oil.

I might just try that. I hate shaving and have very delicate skin.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
My mum lived in Italy during WWII and had a number of Italian women working for her. During that time she got a lot of tips on how to raise little ones. So, when my brother and I were babies for the first year she never bathed us in soap and water... instead we were wiped down with olive oil, as the Italian women had taught her. It worked great! Neither of us *ever* had diaper rash and to this day I have good skin.

It does make sense, of course, since olive oil contains vitamins A & D, and after all, that's what the famous baby product, "A&D Ointment", has in it.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have not tried this for shaving, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I am a physical therapist, and need massage oil on occasion. I used to use a cheap lotion that I got comped by a drug rep. When I ran out of that, I got the store brand fragrance free hand lotion, but I didn't like how it left my hands greasy in a way that wouldn't wash off. A massage therapist friend told me about a concoction that she uses: grape seed oil with a couple of squirts of the hand lotion, mixed very imprecisely at maybe 10:1, 15:1. You have to shake it up each time you use it, and it looks absolutely disgusting, but I think it would give you the texture you are looking for. I got a little hand soap dispenser at the dollar store. Grape seed oil has no fragrance or flavor like olive oil.

I might just try that. I hate shaving and have very delicate skin.

All I got was an emulsion contained within the oil. A real mess and did little to thicken the oil. I think I'm going to have to create an olive oil emulsion. I'm not much of a chemist.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Instead of olive oil, try KY jelly. It won't run off and, being water miscible, can be rinsed off easily. There's even a version that warms the skin slightly.

I found all this out when experimenting with various uses for the stuff :)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Instead of olive oil, try KY jelly. It won't run off and, being water miscible, can be rinsed off easily. There's even a version that warms the skin slightly.

I found all this out when experimenting with various uses for the stuff :)

Yes, but then you end up smelling like... well... *ahem*... sex!

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tried KY Jelly. If this is an attempt to use left over inventory, its best to just throw it away.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
All right, Bill... you've tried olive oil, lotion, KY, and various esoteric combinations thereof. And here I thought you were a Royal Purple guy.
Man up! And this time, we need pics, or it didn't happen! :eek:

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, really, Ken!

Personally, I go for moly assembly lube... gives that really smoooooth shave.

Nickodell

Donation Time
In the early Egyptian era the priests and government leaders were shaved by slaves, who were called vassals. They used ... wait for it

||
\ /

||
\ /

||
\ /

vassaline.:D

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
How did we turn into Home and Garden!?

Next we'll be discussing how best to remove those stubborn grass stains. :p

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Fine. Then I expect a tech session on this Bill. Bring enough oil for everybody. LOL