• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Servicing wire wheel hubs

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
For all of us who have had to remove the cotter pins in wire wheel hubs there is a proper way to install and remove them. I was replacing the brake rotors on my SV and much to my dismay sometime in the past someone used a nail and not a cotter pin. Two hours to get it out.
The hubs on the car had not been serviced in a long time the grease was black and a little gritty(more on this later). Wire wheel hubs need to be serviced regularly and the bearings inspected and end float checked.
When re assembling the hub use a cotter pin of the proper length and diameter. Insert the new pin through the hole in the hub with the long side of the pin facing you. Use a flat blade screwdriver and bend the the long end of the pin just enough so that it secures the nut on the wheel spindle .allways use new cotter pins when servicing your hubs

loose_electron

Donation Time
Gordon - Great information, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" so any further info here is appreciated.

I am interested in following this, because I have wire wheels, and haven't had them off in the 2 years I have owned the car. Will get there this winter I expect.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Gordon - Great information, as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words" so any further info here is appreciated.

I am interested in following this, because I have wire wheels, and haven't had them off in the 2 years I have owned the car. Will get there this winter I expect.
I am glad that this helps someone. I have seen on the forum some complaints about getting the cotter pins out. I am waiting on new wheel bearings and seals rite now I will take some pictures and add to this post soon hopefully next week.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
I am glad that this helps someone. I have seen on the forum some complaints about getting the cotter pins out. I am waiting on new wheel bearings and seals rite now I will take some pictures and add to this post soon hopefully next week.
This is an update on wire wheel hubs. I have been rebuilding the brakes on my series V I bought new rotors which necessitated pulling the hubs. To my dismay it is a good thing I did. The wheel bearings were trashed the outer was grinding when examined from metal shavings in the grease. I pulled the wheel seal and the inner bearing was full of metal with the rollers showing some pitting both the inner and outer races were junk scarred and pitted.
I can’t stress it enough check your wheel bearings at least yearly I know most of our cars are not daily drivers, and it is a pain to remove the front wheels and check end float particularly with wire wheels. While the front wheels are off inspect the brake pads rotors flex hoses for leaks excessive wear. I will post more soon

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
This is an update on wire wheel hubs. I have been rebuilding the brakes on my series V I bought new rotors which necessitated pulling the hubs. To my dismay it is a good thing I did. The wheel bearings were trashed the outer was grinding when examined from metal shavings in the grease. I pulled the wheel seal and the inner bearing was full of metal with the rollers showing some pitting both the inner and outer races were junk scarred and pitted.
I can’t stress it enough check your wheel bearings at least yearly I know most of our cars are not daily drivers, and it is a pain to remove the front wheels and check end float particularly with wire wheels. While the front wheels are off inspect the brake pads rotors flex hoses for leaks excessive wear. I will post more soon
I have discovered an unusual wear pattern on my hubs between the splines and where the road wheel butts up to the hub. This comes from knock off not being tight enough and or the wheels themselves having broken missing spokes.