• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Seriously? You can't all like it...

Tullamore

Donation Time
New Site Criticism

Sure you do deserve credit for all of the work that has gone into this new site but if people only post praise it will not be the benefit of this site.

Here are the major things that I do not like.

FRAMES! That's pretty much a no no today. Use server side includes instead, I suggest moving to php which will allow you to better integrate the main content with the forum.

Also I don't like how much space this vBulletin skin takes up. Maybe turn off features or find another skin that does not waste so much space. (One reason it takes up so much space is because it is confined into a small frame) Previously the board had been using a trimmed down version of the default phpBB skin and it was nice and compact. Also since you are using frames having both a header at the top of the page and at the top of the forum wastes a lot of screen space.

Where did all of the old posts go? How about putting up an install of phpBB and restoring the database, then locking all of the forums so at least all of the information from old forum will be retained and accessible. If you need a place to host it / help doing it I can host it for you.

Keep up the good work on the site!

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Tullamore
all good points,
If you desire to not see the Forum in a frame, book mark the forum only page with www.saoca.org/protected/forum and you will get the forum on its own page with no web site.
We are in the process of putting up the old PhPbb with the old post and locking it for an archive only.

I would love to do the web in PHP but I know nothing about it, and in my old age i am not sure I want to learn it.:)

Paul

Tullamore

Donation Time
We are in the process of putting up the old PhPbb with the old post and locking it for an archive only.

GREAT! :)

Just curious, doesn't VBulletin have a migration tool from phpBB? If so why did you choose not to go that route?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Can't say I'm in love with the format. It works, but seems awkward. Figure I'll get used to it.

Bill

PaulK

Gold Level Sponsor
Tullamore,
Yes there is a migrate function form PhPbb but reading some of the results on the VBulletin forum It appears that every thing has to match perfictly for it to work.

Paul

Nickodell

Donation Time
If you desire to not see the Forum in a frame, book mark the forum only page with www.saoca.org/protected/forum and you will get the forum on its own page with no web site. Paul

Paul; I did just that, and added the URL to my "Favorites" list. The page comes up nicely and I don't have to scroll left and right now.

Thanks for the hard and largely unrewarding work. I used to edit (and write 80% of) a company magazine once (extra to my regular job) and hardly ever got any thanks or praise from one year to the next. Got complaints, though.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
This worked great! One other problem I encountered with the framed version on one multiple-page thread in Stock Alpine was that, even after scrolling all the way down, a post was truncated at the bottom.

Tullamore
all good points,
If you desire to not see the Forum in a frame, book mark the forum only page with www.saoca.org/protected/forum and you will get the forum on its own page with no web site.

I would love to do the web in PHP but I know nothing about it, and in my old age i am not sure I want to learn it.:)

Paul

Tullamore

Donation Time
This worked great! One other problem I encountered with the framed version on one multiple-page thread in Stock Alpine was that, even after scrolling all the way down, a post was truncated at the bottom.

I also observed that problem in places, it was as if the frame had a max height that it would scroll to.