• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Vent

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
IMG_3458.JPG Hope someone can answer this, found the vent on SV drivers side is broke. Seeing that they are pop riveted in, how do you repair those? Thanks in advance-Al

alpine_64

Donation Time
Sunbeam specialties sells a kit to rebuild the vents, iirc there was a how to article in the main page of the site...

At worst its a step-by-step write-up in a thread.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
I purchased the repair kit from SS, drilled out the pop rivets (watch the drill chuck on the surrounding area), pulled the vents from underneath the dash, replaced the broken parts, re-inserted from underneath, and replaced the pop rivets.
The kit comes with an instruction sheet but it is a copy of a copy of a...well you get the point. It’s hard to make out much from the pics.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
They're not as daunting or as hard to do as they seem to be. They are a bit fiddly but so long as you take
your time and keep your sides ( left and right) straight they're not too bad.
The kit from SS work just fine.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks! Just when you think you got everything accounted for to repair. It's great that SS is there(What a sales slogan). Will break out the drill.

65beam

Donation Time
Al, I've used a small chisel to snap off the rivet head and then push the body thru the other side.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Al, The protrusions or lips sticking up are fabricated into the cowling. Suggest you scrape away all of the sealant put there 40 or more years ago and replace.... certainly will help keep corrosion and leakage in the future.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, scraped the sealant off and the rivet body came with it( they were corroded). So Bob's method with a chisel should get it out. Just picked up a new box of strip sealant from NAPA, I think it took me 20 yrs to go through the first one! Looks like I might as well rebuild both sides since the dash is out.

Silver Creek Sunbeam

Gold Level Sponsor
One thing I left out that I learned from another thread on this forum is when reassembling the vents, tack the nuts on the inside of the housing with a little glue to hold them in place when lining up the housing, the door hinge, and nut. There's not a lot of space inside the housing and gluing the nuts made a HUGE difference for me.

absunbeam

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks everyone for the replies, got the drivers side vent out Chisel & punch method. Not too much too them, the springs were both out of the holder, hole was plugged to the drain. Checked the Mk2 vent JIC and it was still good. Did see the video on removing the vent, liked the vent cover to reduce water leakage to the floor. Had an issue with the steering column clearance, just loosened the steering box to get the clearance needed. Will have to get a kit from SS.