• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V tachometer

SteveSeriesV

Silver Level Sponsor
I am looking for a diagram or picture of the back of a tachometer for Series V.
Trying to determine correct wiring from ignition thru plastic retainer on back of tach to coil. Does it matter where loop is and which way wire from ignition passes thru it?

Wombat

Donation Time
Steve

I think it does matter. When I converted my Series IV from positive to negative earth, I had to reverse the connections to the loop (as well as the internal conections) so the current went around the loop in the same direction.

Here is a schematic from the Australian Hillman Hunter manual. The tacho is almost the same as the Series V.

Tacho.jpg
[/IMG]

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steve,

An important thing to note is that you need, not just the plastic form to wrap the wire through, but you also need the U shaped piece of steel that fits around the plastic form. That U shaped (or staple shaped) piece of steel is a critical half of the steel core of the pulse transformer made up of the loop on the outside and the loops on the inside. If you have lost the U-shaped piece of steel you can probably make one from a piece of "tin can" - but be sure the can is steel (test itwith a magnet) and not aluminum. And when you assemble the plastic form and u shaped steel to the tach, be sure that both ends of the steel "U" make good contact with each end of the steel part on the tach. Otherwise you will not have a good transformer.

Many people have had problems with these metal U's,but I don't think most have realized that unless there is good contact at each end of the U there will be too small a pulse transferred to the tach to make good pulse counts.

Tom H