• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Standard Dash Panel Finish

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
I have 1967 Series V with the plastic/bakelite? dash panel. The PO put wood grained self adhesive vinyl on it. I need to know what the original dash panel had on it. Pictures I have seen appear to have a black vinyl material similar to upholstery? Does anyone know what was original? If so was it an upholstery type material glued to the panel? If so, what type and how was it attached?

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
A used one is going to be the easiest way to bring her back to stock. I'm sure I have 1 kicking around, you will also need the finisher that goes under the steering column in matching black. I am in Boston, perhaps someone closer has 1, if not my # 78l 829 O55O M-F 8-5 EST

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
A used one is going to be the easiest way to bring her back to stock. I'm sure I have 1 kicking around, you will also need the finisher that goes under the steering column in matching black. I am in Boston, perhaps someone closer has 1, if not my # 78l 829 O55O M-F 8-5 EST
Thanks for the reply. Can you answer the question on what's on the original? I am in North Dakota, but I have a sister in Westford. What shape would an old used one going to be in? It may need a little TLC also? If needed how would a person get it and $$?

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Are you talking about the dash, the dash pad above the dash, or the crash pad roll below the dash?

The dash itself is just plastic. No finish.

Mike

Last edited:

JSLoeffl

Gold Level Sponsor
Are you talking about the dash, the dash pad above the dash, or the crash pad roll below the dash?

Mike
Mike, I am talking about the dash panel itself, not the dash pad or the crash pad. Mine appears to have been covered with walnut wood grained color peel and stick cupboard liner, and then varnished. The varnish is chipping off as it was not meant to be put on vinyl. It did look good for many year though. I would like to know what was there originally. Some pics I've seen on posts it appears to be a black vinyl material. Appears in some pics the vinyl material is bulging or puckered out around some of the gauges. Would like to restore back to something more original. Don't really what to pay the price of the wood version I've seen. Most of them do not have all the switch markings etc.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Example of the finisher under the steering column that junkman mentioned.

upload_2021-1-13_20-46-32.png

Mike

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-13_20-45-52.png
    upload_2021-1-13_20-45-52.png
    586.2 KB · Views: 1

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
That adhesive may be hard to remove and get back to the original texture. You can give it a try. I'd see what junkman wants for $$ or if someone closer has one. Good luck!

Mike

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Believe it or not Mike that finish is a glued on textured material on at least S4 & 5. Early cars had raised holes for gauges and texture molded in.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes the SIV/V dash is bakerlite with vynil glied over the surface. On some of the more run down cars you see it bubbling/ lifting off the dash especially around gauges.

SVGT used the same dash and glovebox/surround as the ST cars with the walnut veneer glued to that instead of the 7 layered laminated ply of the S3/IV GT cars.