• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Heater Control Valve

greenbean

Donation Time
Robert Kirk at kirks-auto.com just sent me an email to let me know that he now has access to the Series V Heater Control Valve if anyone is interested.:):)

Russ

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cool. Thanks for relaying.

Does he happen have a photo of the valve? Not to doubt, but there's several out there that are *close* to the exact item, but they're not the real cigar... would be nice to know for sure before ordering.

On edit:

I wonder if this is the one he's talking about?

http://www.kirks-auto.com/MGC/MGC_HeaterControlValve_LaterStyle.html

MGC_HeaterControlValve_LaterStyle.jpg

MGC Heater Control Valve
later style
$78 delivered in US. $75 plus postage outside US.

currently out of stock

These have been an exclusive offering from us for 15 years. The first 500 or so MGCs had a different configuration of heater control...an item we also stock. These are properly made in the UK and have been hard to acquire for many years.

You will find our starting price is on a par with those who now offer these valves made in who knows where.

greenbean

Donation Time
Kevin ---
That is the one. His email to me said it was the Late MGC Style and Sunbeam Series V & Tiger. This was his original email to me:

Subject: Heater valve BHA4918
To:
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2011, 7:16 AM

The long overdue and much anticipated heater valve proper for the late MGC and Sunbeam Tiger is now available. Depending on the response to those who have expressed interest, I will shortly be able to quote a price. Ballpark number is $70 each with discounts available in quantity.

Please be aware, out of ignorance or deceit some folks mostly in the AU but also UK are offering an MGB version as being correct...it is not. The number above is BMC.

I paid $78.00 shipped to Bakersfield, CA

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, that gibes with the information I posted in an earlier thread on this subject (see below).

The careful observer will realize that you could modify #27H8836 by removing the flange, turning down the outlet to fit a hose, and then removing, rotating 90° and reattaching the valve body. And, in fact, that's how all these new ones seem to be made. The original valves have their hose connection the same size right down to the valve body, like the one on valve #BHA5298 (i.e. there's no 'step' in the pipe). So, although this valve is not an exact replacement, it's about the best we'll do.

There were two heater valves supplied to the MGC - an early valve which mounted directly to the engine, and a later one that did not - we want the later one.

The earlier '67 MGC valve, BMC ("MOWOG") part number 27H8836, is not right for the Sunbeam.

The correct one is the later '68-69 MGC version, and it is the closest available replacement for the SV that I know of. The BMC/MOWOG part number for this valve is BHA4918.

See below:

BHA4918_1.JPG

P/N BHA4918 (correct)

913DBEC1-4B4D-4A68-9CAD-46AD337E613C.jpg

P/N 27H8836 (wrong)

The earlier series Sunbeam Alpines use a rotary valve, and I believe the best replacement for this may be the MGB valve, BMC/MOWOG part number BHA5298:

BHA5298_lg.jpg

P/N BHA5298

mikephillips

Donation Time
Actually the early valves are easy as the same type was used by a number of cars. The only thing to be aware of is some open by moving the arm right to left and others go left to right. You can either just live with it if you get the wrong one, turn the dash lever upside down or use the old valve as replace the back onto the new one.