• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Engine + Engine Compartment

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Actually, Tom, those are not pics of my engine, but one very similar to mine. Mine has the later head and has overdrive. However, for illustration purposes, yes, mine does have exactly the same hose routing as those photos, and is what I believe to be very original.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Kevin, Oh yeah, It's buckalpine3's car. That explains why I did not see the OD relay you mentioned! But it IS a nice reference car. (I sure hope I don't make this mistake again. I keep confusing myself)

Bill, the 2 photos linked should show you pretty well how the PCV hoses go.

Tom

fordlandia

Donation Time
Tom & Kevin,

So I'm guessing that when the vacuum gauge was hooked up, the PCV and flame trap lines were changed. The line from the tappet cover runs to a "T" that was inserted. The flame trap line is also connected to the "T" as is the line that runs to the air cleaners. Looks like all I need to do is get a hose to connect the PCV valve directly to the tappet cover, get rid of the "T" and the short line to the flame trap... and then connect the line from the air filters directly to the flame trap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

fordlandia

Donation Time
The "bright & shiny" clutch master cylinder doesn't look original to me. Is it correct to assume that the MC unit should be the cast aluminum type (like in the Tiger?). This is a Lockheed and looks new enough that I'm thinking it is a replacement?

notoriginalor.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
The "bright & shiny" clutch master cylinder doesn't look original to me. Is it correct to assume that the MC unit should be the cast aluminum type (like in the Tiger?). This is a Lockheed and looks new enough that I'm thinking it is a replacement?

Although the clutch master is likely a replacement unit (given it's shiny nature), it is however a correct replacement and matches the original exactly.

However, I notice from this close-up picture that you are missing the rubber button on the end of your starter solenoid. You should get obtain one as soon as possible, as without it the solenoid is open to humidity (rust). They are not available new, as far as I know, but one can be scavenged from a used unit or, alternatively, new solenoids are now being made and they have the buttons.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I do wonder, however, what is the gauze-like product that seems to be applied on the panel in front of the radiator? It is just barely visible on the far-right side of this photo:

precleanup4.jpg

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks like all I need to do is get a hose to connect the PCV valve directly to the tappet cover, get rid of the "T" and the short line to the flame trap... and then connect the line from the air filters directly to the flame trap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that's exactly correct.

Tom

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Tom & Kevin,

So I'm guessing that when the vacuum gauge was hooked up, the PCV and flame trap lines were changed. The line from the tappet cover runs to a "T" that was inserted. The flame trap line is also connected to the "T" as is the line that runs to the air cleaners. Looks like all I need to do is get a hose to connect the PCV valve directly to the tappet cover, get rid of the "T" and the short line to the flame trap... and then connect the line from the air filters directly to the flame trap. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for your help!

Bill

You are correct.

fordlandia

Donation Time
Kevin,

Thanks for the info on the clutch master cylinder unit.

I'll start looking for the rubber button that is missing... but I'm having a hard time picturing what I'm looking for. Does it fit over the right side of the solenoid (as you look at the photo)? I checked the "sketch" in Sunbeam Specialties catalog but it doesn't show it... will look in the manual and search the net to see if I can find a picture.

Regarding your question about the added "feature" you can see at the corner of the radiator: the original owner tied some insect screening in front of the radiator. I guess he wanted to keep bugs out of the radiator fins. I'll be removing that when I give the area the "once over."

Bill

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Another thing I find odd... the clips holding the coil-to-solenoid wire (along the front edge of the scuttle, shown in the picture below... these have been painted - on the top only - to match the body. I have never seen these painted before... they are always 'natural finish' (black). Was the car repainted at any time?

pcvhosesflamearrestor.jpg

fordlandia

Donation Time
Paint on clips...

Kevin,

I noticed that, too... no, it has not been repainted. However, there are a number of spots in the engine compartment where the original owner used "touch-up" paint at some point. In fact, it appears he touched things up on two occasions, because one time the paint he used was not a particularly good match and the next time it was.

I'll take some close-up pics of the touch-ups, done with a small brush. It seems that when the original clips were installed, the "barbs" may have scratched the paint underneath a bit and that probably led to some rust. It looks like when he touched up the area by the clips he decided to paint the tops of the clips, too (but not the bottoms as you can see in the photo).

The other place I noticed he had used touch up paint on was on a number of the rectangular "tabs" that are welded to the car, the ones used to hold wires in place. As you know, sometime the paint "cracks" on those when they are opened or closed... and no doubt he tried to cover up some of those blemishes. He was not too careful at it... because he got paint on the wiring at those spots, too... but didn't clean it off.

In fact, "65beam" (still don't know his name) had pointed out a few of those. You can see one in the photo above to the lower left of the Tudor washer fluid bag... on the wiring just below a clip he touched up. Fortunately, I'm a better detailer than he was and those type of issues are easily addressed (once I get some proper touch-up paint, that is).

I'm glad you guys have "eagle eyes" as you are helping me create my "to do" list when I start working on the Alpine. I'm in the midst of another car project right now and won't likely start on the Alpine until late winter.

Regards,

Bill

ALPINE5GT

Diamond Level Sponsor
If I recall correctly, the series V did not all have the rubber boot
on the solenoid. The later ones had a metal cap and no ability to
manually activate the solenoid

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
If I recall correctly, the series V did not all have the rubber boot
on the solenoid. The later ones had a metal cap and no ability to
manually activate the solenoid

Agreed. Mine does not have the button (nor rubber cover). But I may not have an original either.

Bill, try pushing on the end of the solenoid. If it pushes in, it has the manual actuation feature and should have a rubber cap over it. If it does not move, it's the metal cap type with no manual actuation.

Tom

agmason54

Donation Time
SV Engine

Bill
SVs had a brass cover on the solenoid not the rubber button. I have pried many of them off to use the solenoid for handy under the hood starting.
AGM

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Another thing I find odd... the clips holding the coil-to-solenoid wire (along the front edge of the scuttle, shown in the picture below... these have been painted - on the top only - to match the body. I have never seen these painted before... they are always 'natural finish' (black). Was the car repainted at any time?

pcvhosesflamearrestor.jpg

FYI - The coil-to-solenoid wire clips on my series V have remnants of body color on the top only. The rest of the clip is black. My car has been repainted, but the clips have the original carnival red color.

Mike

fordlandia

Donation Time
To the best of my knowledge...

... this Alpine has not been repainted. There has been some touch-up by the original owner in a few places with (apparently) a small brush and a bottle of touch-up paint... but none of the body panels have been repainted. Interior is also original, including carpets.

I will be taking this car to the TE/AE event in Dayton next year and look forward to any and all input I might get from knowledgeable Alpine enthusiasts regarding its originality. I wish there was a "preserved" class in the concours judging, as I believe this car would be one of the best.

Because I have all of the maintenance receipts and a log book of each gas fill-up and each oil change, etc... I am very confident that the car is about as original as a Series V Alpine can be.

Regards,

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
engine

bill,
as an alpine owner I have to say that we're looking forward to seeing the car at Dayton. be prepared to have fun!

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
... this Alpine has not been repainted. There has been some touch-up by the original owner in a few places with (apparently) a small brush and a bottle of touch-up paint... but none of the body panels have been repainted. Interior is also original, including carpets.

Regards,

Bill

I think you misunderstood the point of my post. I am agreeing with you that those clips can be original with the car paint on them. Others had questioned whether that was an original configuration.

Mike