• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series V Engine + Engine Compartment

fordlandia

Donation Time
In this thread I am going to post some photos of my Series V Alpine (B395008497 OD LRX) engine and the engine compartment area. These are all "as I found" her... before I do any clean-up or detailing, etc.

The main reason for this posting is to get input on anything that appears to be "non-stock" or not likely original to the car. I figure I may need to look for some items that are missing or modified, etc.

As mentioned in a few other postings, I bought the car from its original owner and it has 66,435 miles on it.

I'm looking forward to detailing the engine & the area under the bonnet... will post "after" shots later.

Regards,

Bill

precleanup1.jpg

precleanup2.jpg

precleanup3.jpg

precleanup4.jpg

moonracer

Donation Time
you should just cut bait on this thing and sell it to me cheap!!!!! JK. That thing looks as original as you can find.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Great looking original car. It would sit really nicely alongside my 2 SV GT's:D. One thing I've noticed is that the head looks to be an early series unit with the machined and tubed spark plug openings. The late Series alloy head spark plug openings were cast rather than machined as per the attachment. Seems odd that the head should be from an early car. Do you have evidence of an engine rebuild?

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
The head is the earlier type and is what I would expect. The VIN # tells us it was built in July of 66 and earlier than half way thru the SV production run. The heads without the tubes, I think, were used sometime after #10000. maybe even later than 12000.

The water hoses and clamps are non original as are the clamps on teh vacuum line to teh booster. But I think the vacuum hose itself is original, with the yellow stripe.

I think the plug and coil wires are not original .

I do not recognize that wire coming out from a hose near the rear of the valve cover in front of the oil filler neck.

Other than that it looks very original to me.

Tom Hayden

agmason54

Donation Time
SeriesV Engine+ Engine compartment

Hey Bill,
I can see that the original wire hose clamps have been replaced.I have a special original collapsible hose that goes between the water pump and thermostat housing that is worthy of your engine.
Email me or call if interested-I have all clamps etc. and them some....
Later
Albert
agmason54@hotmail.com
330-424-0236
PS
They used two styles of heads on SV.Yours is most likely the original it just looks the same as the earlier heads.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Minor details: The brake booster hose clip is aftermarket; the thermostat cover appears to be aftermarket.

The overdrive relay still has its decal - is the relay right side up or upside down?

The clean motor is amazing!

mattinoz

Donation Time
The head is the earlier type and is what I would expect. The VIN # tells us it was built in July of 66 and earlier than half way thru the SV production run. The heads without the tubes, I think, were used sometime after #10000. maybe even later than 12000. Tom Hayden

I wouldn't be too sure about the earlier head being used up until #10000 or later SV's. My SV #8133 (which is earlier than this car) has the new type head as does my later SV #17819.

The parts guide suggests the early head was used up to the end of 1592cc SIV production with the new head introduced with the 1725cc engine.

Does the VIN stamped on the engine match the body plate?

alpine_64

Donation Time
As others have said there are a few hose clamps that have been replaced with more modern types, the booster one should have the sardine can style clamp and the others the wire type. The booster hose is original, make sure you keep it.. you can retsore the hose by straightening it out with a wire up the middle then cleaning it, masking it up and repainting the stripe (moonstoneSIV has done this on his to great effect)

I'd say the head is original to the car, the sparking plug tubes werent removed from the castings till later in the production run as previously mentioned.

great looking engine bay.. i'll try and post a pic of an original press shot later today.. or as a tiger owner, if you have the brooklands road test books you can see some nice pics of the SV engine bays in the period road test shots.

fordlandia

Donation Time
More Series V Engine Photos

Wow! You guys are giving me great information... I am glad that this car appears to be a really good example of how it came from the factory. I will be sure to document the "as is" condition of everything and will post photos as time permits. If there are specific areas you'd like me to make sure to post, let me know.

The primary reason I want to "preserve" this car (rather than "over restore" it) has to do with the circumstances that led to my ownership of it. The original owner is in very poor health and last month he decided he wanted to get the car in the hands of a "Sunbeam" guy who would take good care of it. We had met at a number of British car shows over the past 6 or 7 years. He really liked my Tiger and I really liked his Alpine. Well, he located me via the TE/AE membership directory and gave me a call last month and asked me if I'd be interested in taking a look at it. I bought the car the same day and I promised him I would take good care of it. I'm determined to do justice by him.

As far as the cylinder head is concerned, he said the engine had never been apart. The engine block is correct (see the composite photo... one with a flash the other without). Is there another photo I can post to clear up the question on the head?

Some more photos:

alpinevintag.jpg

alpinesaltag.jpg

odrelay.jpg

enginevin1.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
Series 5

it looks like it's had some paint work in the engine compartment. there looks to be overspray on the alternator wiring and the top bolts for the pedals have been painted. it also looks like the clamp holding the brake line to the booster has also been painted. after 45 years it looks to be pretty original and nice. and several things would have been replaced or repaired since no one worried about using the original style clamps,etc. the dealers were gone. was this car owned by an english guy named ed that lived in your area and he sold cars for a living? he had a car like this for years and at one time the car was also in dayton. tiger auto did work on it over the years. if it's the same car,i first saw it at the united in indy in 1986 and i last saw it at mid ohio several years ago. it sure looks good!

fordlandia

Donation Time
Hey 65Beam (sorry... don't know your name)...

No, the car was originally purchased (and sold to me) by a fellow by the name of Terry T. Purnell. He was employed in the medical research field (not selling cars). I have a list from him of all of the car shows he took the car to since 1980. Mostly local "non-British" shows and never to a United or never out of Michigan except for a couple of shows he went to in the Chicago area.

I am not sure where you saw over-spray... I don't believe that there has been any paint work in the engine compartment other than some touch up I noticed by a small "hand brush" on some chips or whatever. However, I'd be glad to post close-up photos if you tell me where you think there was any spraying (honestly don't think there has been any, but I could be wrong).

Is the "top bolt for the pedals" the bolt or nut that is visible just behind the master cylinder? I'll take a close up of that... if anything, the original owner may have painted that (again by hand... with a small brush) but I'm not sure. I'll take close ups of that area, too.

The car has not been repainted anywhere that I can determine. It was waxed "religiously" over the years and I have no reason to think there was ever any spraying done. However, I'd be glad to focus on areas where that type of work might be evident and post them. I just don't have any reason to doubt the original owner's word. He was not asking for anything close to "top dollar" for the car... just genuinely interested in having it fall into good hands.

Regards,

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
alpine

i have no problems with your car. i just noticed what looks like overspray on the wiring near the OD relay and also the wiring to the alternator where it fastens to the inner fender brace. easy to clean! i have just spent too much time around tiger owners. now i'm wondering if ed still has his car. your engine bay will be real easy to detail. if you don't want the car i'm sure my wife would be interested. at least i wouldn't have much to do to this car.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
The head is like mine....

The head is the earlier type and is what I would expect. The VIN # tells us it was built in July of 66 and earlier than half way thru the SV production run. The heads without the tubes, I think, were used sometime after #10000. maybe even later than 12000.

My '67 SV has a head just like this one. 13260 AND ORIGINAL!

DanR

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
So it seems both of the head types were used throughout SV production. My earlier SV had the tubes and my later (# 130xx) had the non tube type. Others usually called the non -tube ones "later" type. Thus my incorrect understanding. This is new info for me, and maybe others as well.

My conclusion remains however, that there is no reason to think that this tube-type head is not original.

And I'm inclined to believe the OD relay is mounted correctly. This keeps moisture from getting into the housing. I previously thought the relay was mounted on the fender well, not the firewall, so that's where I put mine when I added OD. Looks like I might want to move it.

And what is that "wire" coming out of a hose near the oil filler neck about??

Tom

fordlandia

Donation Time
Tom,

You asked "what is that "wire" coming out of a hose near the oil filler neck about?" I'm going to check that out later today... but here's what I think it is: not a wire but a vacuum line. The large hose is actually the hose that goes to what should be the PCV valve on the manifold. But... one thing the original owner added was a vacuum gauge under the dash. It is actually just attached under there with some plastic wire ties, I believe. I thinking he ran the smaller black rubber hose through the large hose to the manifold for vacuum.

So... I'll be removing the vacuum gauge at some point. But... that begs the question "where is that larger hose (which may have been cut short?) from the PCV valve supposed to go to? The Series V manual says it should run to the either the oil filler tube or the "tappet chamber cover plate." There is also supposed to be a "flame trap" and a couple of more lines.

Can anyone point me to a photo or schematic that shows how the PCV should be connected on this car?

Thanks!

Bill

fordlandia

Donation Time
A Few More Photos & Questions...

A few more photos, and a few related questions.

Is this the original style coil? Should there be a decal on it?

coila.jpg

The following tag is affixed to the scuttle on the driver's side. Was this something the factory applied or was it added later?

tagonscuttle.jpg

The fan belt is a Rootes brand. Surely can't be original but may be the correct type & PN? The hose clamps in the photo are all not original correct?

rootesfanbelt.jpg

This is a close-up of the tag affixed to the oil cooler line. Thought you might be interested, has a 7-66 on it (assume July 1966?) and a PN.

oillinetag.jpg

More pics to come.

Bill

RootesRich

Donation Time
The OD relay position and location match our pre-production SV's OD relay. I know of two other Alpines that have similar installations; I believe this is factory correct. I'm impressed by the OD relay sticker. I've never seen one before.

As far as the neg earth badge, I know of another nearly "unmolested" SV that has the exact same badge. At the time I had never seen one and asked the Owner about it. He was the 2nd owner of the car and believed it was original.

Looking at the distributor, I don't think the vac advance hose is original. Isn't there supposed to be a smaller diameter tube and a rubber elbow? I'm working off memory and some long days writing construction defect reports so please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Very nice car, by the way. Quite a find and nice to see another very original car in the US.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
A few more photos, and a few related questions.

Is this the original style coil? Yes. Should there be a decal on it? Yes, a black LUCAS one. Replacements are available.

The following tag is affixed to the scuttle on the driver's side. Was this something the factory applied or was it added later?Factory supplied. Often missing or painted over. There might also be a yellow tag or decal on your alternator with a similar message.

The fan belt is a Rootes brand. Surely can't be original but may be the correct type & PN? Looks like the original to me. The hose clamps in the photo are all not original correct? Correct, they are not original. The hoses probably aren't either - some of them I'm sure aren't.

This is a close-up of the tag affixed to the oil cooler line. Thought you might be interested, has a 7-66 on it (assume July 1966?) and a PN. Yes, that's the date code.

As to the OD Relay, my car has exactly the same setup, and exactly the same decal. It's correct.

The vac advance hose is not original. Rich is right, it should have a small diameter tube with an angled connection at the distributor end and a straight connector at the other and it should arch over the valve cover.

As to the 'flame trap', it is a round canister attached to the oil filler neck by a short hose, secured with a special clamp with Phillips screw & nut, and then attached to the hose that goes to the air cleaners. Color varies - sometimes Hammerite silver (which has a greenish tinge to it), sometimes Hammerite blue and sometimes semi-flat black, the latter being the replacement unit from Chrysler. Yours can just be seen at the left edge of this photo... http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/856/precleanup2.jpg ... and it seems like yours is Hammerite silver.

I respectfully disagree with the earlier poster about your having a replacement thermostat cover - yours looks original to me.

You are missing the small clip that holds the temperature sending unit wire to the bolt on the thermostat cover.

And finally... you have FRAM oil filter. GET RID OF IT. They have no anti-return valve and as such every time you start the car you need to refill the filter before the bearings get any oil. ANY other filter is better than that one, IMHO.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Re the PCV routing, you seem to have 3/4 of it there. The molded dual hose from air cleaners to the flame trap. And you seem to have the PCV valve in the manifold with a hose on it. But then that hose should go - not to a vacuum gauge (of course) but to the pipe sticking out of the tappet cover, near the rear of the engine.

Thse are pics of Kevin (puff4)'s engine. It's pretty close to original:

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/plugin...?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=2&p17_imageid=344

http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/plugin...?categoryid=3&p17_sectionid=2&p17_imageid=345

(non original hose clamps, except on the booster hose)

Tom

fordlandia

Donation Time
Pvc Connections

You are correct... the vacuum gauge connection is incorrect (that is... the pcv connections are not right, apparently). I have posted photos of the way the hoses now run... can you guys help me understand what is wrong?

pcvtubetotappetcover.jpg

pcvhosesflamearrestor.jpg

pcvhoseconnectiontoairf.jpg

pcvandflamearrestor.jpg