• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series One hardtop restoration

napa 1

Donation Time
I have completed 99% of the restoration of my hard top, fresh paint, bows, headliner, weather stripping, stainless trim...however I am stuck at the rear window. Does anyone have experience installing the back light in the early hard tops? I have the rubber installed around the window, but need some tricks of the trade to press the unit into the opening. And I thought replacing the front windshield was hard!:confused:

Drnobeam

Donation Time
I wish I could help out here, but I didn't even know there was a back light for the early hard tops!

I love my hard top, it make the Series 2 look very cool. Better in person than pictures can capture.

Drnobeam

Donation Time
Okay, so now I feel kinda dumb.

I had my rear window installed by a glass installer. The only advise I have is to make sure you remove any masking tape before it adheres to the plastic. It's very hard to remove if it stays on too long.

Good luck.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi,

it´s quite OK to give it to professionals however would think it´s much more easier than installing the windscreen glass. As far as I recall install the rubber on the perspex (w/o center finisher strip) and put a thick string into the sealing rubber opening. Then lay the whole assy as close as possible onto the hardtop window opening. Pull the string while applying pressure from the outside. A second person applying pressure onto the perspex would be helpful plus smear the rubber & opening with liquid soap . By using this procedure you should be able to install the glass quite easily. Make sure to install the finishing center strip before usage.

Bernd

Wombat

Donation Time
John,

I have used the method Bernd describes to install the windscreen on my Series IV and the side glass on my "sensible" car. Here is a link that describes the procedure (not specifically for the Series I):

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/wsm_o/o_05.htm

It would probably be easier with the hardtop installed on the car. I suspect the difficult part would be the bottom corners.

But as always, if in doubt, call in the professionals. The use of too much force here may bend the aluminium of the hard top.

Good luck!

napa 1

Donation Time
Update on the hartop window replacement. I did end up hiring a professional glass guy who I know from the local hardware. We worked together for a couple of hours and were finally successful. At first we followed the original workshop manual's instructions - putting the rubber on the window first , inserting a cord and then "simply pressing into place" - no luck. It wasn't until we tried putting the rubber into the window opening first and then fitting the window into the rubber that we got it to work, with much struggling. He had a great tool from an MG window replacement kit that pressed the filler strip into the weather stripping. Would have been really hard to do without that tool. A couple of things he felt made it difficult were 1) the aluminum is soft enough to have bent out of shape over the years making the window opening not uniform. 2)The reproduction plexiglass window may not be completely true to the original (The left side fit a little loose, the right side very tight) etc. Finally, neither one of us could figure out how the stainless trim is supposed to attach to the weatherstripping.
He now says if anyone calls for service and mentions the word Alpine, he's going to fake a bad connection and hang up! :p

Wombat

Donation Time
Glad you got it done successfully. 25 + years ago I had to get a new windscreen installed in my Hillman Hunter. The glass guy was having trouble making it fit (the car had been bent) and ended up using a big rubber hammer to make the final adjustments. I could see the windscreen bend as he hit it. Stuff is often more difficult than the instructions make it seem.

I think the window on my Series IV hardtop will be easier ..... but maybe not.

Drnobeam

Donation Time
John - glad you were able to fit the rear window. I was also not able to reinstall the stainless trim into the rubber weatherstrip. I think the new weatherstrip was not manufactured to except the stainless...may have not been cost effective. Anyway, it looks great, works great. Nice in the winter!

skywords

Donation Time
When I bought my Series I driver it had no rear glass installed. The seller told me to drive it home with it out. It was cold and I had no intention of doing that so I had a seal Fed Exed from SS. I fitted the glass with the seal but when it came time for the cord installation I gave up and called a glass shop that had a very special tool. It took them ten minutes to install with the correct tool. I have no trim so that was not an issue but I have heard it is difficult. The hard top I bought for my Series I restoration has the trim installed. Good luck and I am curious on how to install trim.

Rick

napa 1

Donation Time
I agree that the new rubber must be a slightly different profile than original and perhaps it was not made to accept the stainless trim the way it originally was maybe due to the fact that not many of the tops still have their stainless trim. I've been lying in bed at night trying to figure out a way to screw it on,... glue it on... just some way to jury rig the trim to have it fit.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Tiger Guy

In Hollywood Burbank area is a Tiger owner and custom fabricator of glass windows for our cars. The guy does custom glass for big buck cars so they do not have to send off to Italy etc. I think he may have a minimum order of like 4 or 5. Please look at the thread.

http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=2408

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Warren, That is great!

I like the PIC's of the rear window.

I just bought another Hard Top and had it shipped home (to me).

The shell by itself weighs 36 lbs. Light Huh!

I can weight each component if any one is interested. Have a new Plastic rear window and also the side quarters.

I've considered the glass for sometime. Did'nt know about this order being made until just now! Too late this trip maybe next.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Roger that

I know, I was saying he is a fellow Sunbeam guy and would most likely want to help out even though I would guess that your rear screen would be a more complex and curvy project. The guy has serious kilns for laminated glass. I suppose he could also do them in a plastic compound.

I have had converts with plastic windows for many years and hated em. I have his glass for my H/T for later cars at home already pending install.
I just wanted to put out the news of his service.