• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series IV GT Project or Parts - Milwaukee, WI

keems06

Donation Time
Unfortunately I have decided that the Series IV GT in my garage must go in order to make room for my other hobbies (and wife's car). I haven't posted too much on here but have always been a reader and I'm so impressed at the wealth of knowledge on this site. Rather than send her to the scrap yard or put her on craigslist, I thought I'd give you folks first crack at it for parts.

The car sat in a barn for many years prior to it be handed down to me. In the few years I've had it, I've done the following:
-Rewired for negative earth
-Alternator-Hitachi drop in unit
-Replaced starter solenoid with modern aftermarket unit
-Replaced starter with rebuilt lucas style as recommended from a forum member
-Had the radiator flushed and boiled
-I have a set of new/old fuel tanks from a forum member and a sealant kit to refresh both of them
-New battery
- New Weber 32/36 carburetor
- New plugs

I have not had the engine running since I got it. It spins freely and will pop off momentarily if using starter fluid. I've gotten that far and just cannot get it to start. I just don't have the time and money to put into.

As for it's overall condition, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I'd be happy to take pictures of any and all parts requested. If your interested in any part (or the whole thing) please private message me with what you'd like and your offer. I'm just looking to get back what I've put into it.

Pictures are located here:
http://s121.photobucket.com/user/keems06/library/Sunbeam%20Series%20IV

Happy picking!

-Mike

Things that have been claimed as of 9/8/14
-Hardtop and all trim attached to it
-Rearview mirror
-Rearview mirror light
-Entire dash with gauges/controls
-Quarter windows and chrome cap
-B Pillar anchor plates
-Washer bottle and bracket
-Steering wheel and horn ring
-Sun visors and brackets
-Headlight Rings
-Hood Latch
-Both Window Regulators and hardware
-Door latches attached to door
-Quarter Windows
-Intake Manifold
-Weber Carb and Linkage
-Clutch master cap

Last edited:

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Mike,
Looks like a fine car. Some rust repair looks like the main challenge of this project.

The occasional firing of the engine you described sounded like a classic mis-wiring problem, and after looking at your pictures, this could be your problem. Looks like you have the plug wires in 1, 2, 3, 4 order. The car won't run this way.

It should be 1-3-4-2. Or course, you need to make sure you have #1 correct first.

You might be driving that baby tonight.

Check it out.

keems06

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply and helpful information.You're right though. The rust is a big barrier to this project. Aside from getting the engine running first...

It may be a little difficult to see in the pics, but I believe the firing order is correct. If the dizzy runs ccw, the plugs are wired 1-3-4-2.

I've got spark, I've done the static timing, I checked/set the valve clearances. Maybe there's something else I'm not seeing. I took this project as an automotive learning experience so I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Acollin

Donation Time
As I understand mechanics of this nature, if you have spark and have it statically timed there are only a two other things that could be your problem: Compression and fuel.

Fuel is the easiest to see.
Do you have fuel 1) in the tank
2) in the line to the fuel pump
3) through the pump
4) at and into the carb bowl

If the fuel is good to this point, there is a new series of things to check. I would do a compression check-- simple -- with the proper tool, and can tell you a lot about the internals of the motor.

If you spark, fuel to the carb and compression, it should fire off or at the least be doing some "barking" at you.

Also: be certain your spark plug is dry and not gas fouled. It always surprizes me when a sparking device like a spark plug will not work when it is gas fouled.

I would be interested in any number of parts, if the price and shipping costs were within my budget. It would be ashame to break it down and lose another one. There must be some guy with great body work skills who is in need of a project.
If you have decided to part the car, please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Be well-- I hope all this helps
Andrew

65beam

Donation Time
GT

it could be 180 out . put number 1 plug wire where you have number four and wire from there.

keems06

Donation Time
Hello Gentlemen,
'65 beam, thanks for the suggestion. I did flip all the plug wires starting with #4 and rewiring from there. No improvement there unfortunately.

Andrew,
I'm running from a remote gas tank below the car. There is fuel in the glass bowl and to the line to the carb. So I'm assuming its actually making it to the carb.

I have not checked for compression. That would have been the next step.

I have several people interested in different parts so I think I will end up parting her out. I'll make many more sunbeam owners happy. Let me know what parts you're interested in and I'll snap some pictures for you.

Acollin

Donation Time
I would also pull the spark plugs. If they are damp, give them a smell. If its gas, fuel is getting to the cylinder. If the plug is gas fouled and damp, it will also not ignite the fuel. I know this sounds weird-- gas not being ignited by a sparking spark plug-- but it will not. Either change out the plugs or clean and dry it and give it another try. You don't need much more than spark and fuel.

I know your plans are to part the car, but a running motor has got to be a higher valued part than a potential boat anchor.

Good luck with your sales. I will wait for your return to hear about the parts I asked about and there are still others that I am interested in.

Andrew

keems06

Donation Time
Thanks Andrew. I'll give that a try before disassembling too much of the car.

All,
If you are inquiring about any parts can you please contact me at my email address directly? My PM box is filling up pretty quickly. mhaynes06@gmail.com

Things that have been claimed as of 8/18/14:

-Hardtop and all trim attached to it
-Rearview mirror
-Rearview mirror light
-Entire dash with gauges/controls
-Quarter windows and chrome cap
-B Pillar anchor plates
-Washer bottle and bracket
-Steering wheel and horn ring
-Sun visors and brackets

I'll keep add this list to the first post and keep it updated as things disappear.

Last edited:

keems06

Donation Time
Still a bunch for sale here. I updated the list of "taken" items.

Let me know if there's anything you need. Just trying to get rid of this stuff.