• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series IV Automatic

billssocc

Donation Time
Reverse Extrapolation

According to the SSOCC archives, begun in 1978, and seriously tended over the years, I find only a total of 4 BW cars listed, 1 of which was junked.
That one was reported as BC9405349LRX, 1965, 100 paint.

2nd cars and parts cars aren't reported as often, so it's hardly an accurate
measure of SIV BW production, but of the over 200 cars on record, 4 BWs
make for an awfully slim production using this archive as a simplified snapshot.

Series' distribution is another obvious wild card.
I do recognize many S3s and quite a few MKII Tigers were originally sold in Ontario and Quebec back in the day.

My guess would be that 87 seems an accurate enough figure, making them quite a rare version indeed.

And yes, that BW-35 auto certainly made its way around the Rootes cars...
Super Snipe used it behind the straight 6, and I know of a 1959 Rapier
'Rally-Master 'H'' engine with a BW-35 still attached to it.

Rgd's All, Bill.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
In regards to your B-35

Agent 86

Seems you had a cable problem sometime back and a SAOCA Member advised you how to resolve your problem!? Did you get it resolved? Hope so!

Happy Touring,

DanR

P.S. My post on "possession" of a SIV manufactured with a B-35 was about the same time. My car is currently "minus" the B-35 Transmission and also awaiting restoration.:)

beamS3

Donation Time
John Boggis's site claims 87 produced as "GT" variant with Automatic. he makes no claim on the number of Alpine "ST and GTs" built with the Automatic. Looking at the SAOCA series IV registry of 166 listed @1 of those are Automatics - at that rate I suggest approximate 1500 Series IV cars were equipped with Automatics.

Bob:)

beamS3

Donation Time
John Boggis's site claims 87 produced as "GT" variant with Automatic. he makes no claim on the number of Alpine "ST and GTs" built with the Automatic. Looking at the SAOCA series IV registry of 166 listed 21 of those are Automatics - at that rate I suggest approximate 1500 Series IV cars were equipped with Automatics.

Bob:)

agent86

Donation Time
How many?

Well thanks for the interest y'all, great to see so many people tuned in.
I'm going with 87 because it keeps popping up more often.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Parts Car was auto

One of the parts car I got was a automatic trans. Not any drive train but lots of other parts. Has a very interesting oil cooler.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
I have a 64 IV Auto with 32K original miles on it when I bought it.
Have had no problems with the BW auto but it is a slooooooow poke when
it comes to acceleration. Can cruse at 65 at about 3000 RPM with no trouble.
Resides in New Jersey

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a 64 IV Auto with 32K original miles on it when I bought it.
Have had no problems with the BW auto but it is a slooooooow poke when
it comes to acceleration. Can cruse at 65 at about 3000 RPM with no trouble.
Resides in New Jersey

A few years ago I resurrected a Series IV automatic. I had the BW35 rebuilt and installed it behind a very good 1725 engine. I was pleased with the performance, and when I shifted it manually, it provided very good response - nearly as good as my 1725 manual. Pete

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Good question. The trans seems to shift with no problem, it just doesn't have the acceleration. I can push the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and the car then seems to wind up slowly. Once the car is at 40mph things change a little and it cruses with no problems. No hesitation when accelerating it just takes a while to get to speed.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I assume that your gearbox fluid is up to the correct level. If low, you will lose power through the torque converter.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
Yep, fluid is good. I may change the fluid and see what happens.
I do have some leaking so I add fluid as needed, maybe its time to rebuild.
Only has 34K miles on it but it sat in a garage for 20+ years before I bought it.

PETER CLAYTON

Donation Time
How long have you had the car, did the lack of performance happen over a period of time or suddenly? or has there always been "lazy"
Is the transmission oil clean or is there a brown tinge to it? if the wrong fluid has been used in the past the seals may have swollen.if in doubt get it hot,flush and refill with correct grade.
Could it be throttle related? are you sure that the carburetor is fully opening.
Jamb the pedal to the floor and check the butterfly flap. Does the car still have the original "Solex" carb?.
Having sat for two decades the seals may well have hardened and not seal properly,noting that you have leakage if it is from the bell housing or propshaft areas it would indicate oil seal hardening.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Good point about the Solex- and make sure that the vacuum secondary is opening-if it sat for a long time the rubber diaphragm may be dried out or cracked. Early Alfa Romeos used the same carb if you need spares.
A friend had an Alpine with an automatic and it was pretty quick! Surprised me....

Buckeye64

Donation Time
I did have the carb rebuilt so i think I'm good there.
The car did sit for about 20 years before I bought it and owner stated they changed fluids before putting it up for sale. Fluids did look good so I didn't change them out. I'm sure the seals are bad and a rebuilt is in order. Just waiting until the warm weather ends and I will pull the tranny.
Thanks for all the advice

64auto

Donation Time
what tranny fluid did you use. I have the 1725 in mine with the Stromberg duals but looking at switching out for the weber 32. Having hard time setting the strombergs. Running a bit rich so getting a bit of smoke. I do have a rebuilt kit.