• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series IV Automatic

atallamcs

Donation Time
Would anyone know how many automatics were made? How many members have such cars? Thanks!
Bill Atalla

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
Our car is automatic (1964 GT FMG459B). I remember reading that only 87 automatics were made but I find that figure difficult to believe.

Paul A

Alpine Registry Curator
Platinum Level Sponsor
Would anyone know how many automatics were made? How many members have such cars? Thanks!
Bill Atalla

Bill

I do not know for sure how many were produced, but not many. I restored one a few years back. I replaced the stock engine with a Series V 1725 and it performed very well. The BW automatic has gotten a lot of negative comments over the years, but I found it to be reliable and enjoyable to drive. The car is now in Winnipeg.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Bill

I do not know for sure how many were produced, but not many. I restored one a few years back. I replaced the stock engine with a Series V 1725 and it performed very well. The BW automatic has gotten a lot of negative comments over the years, but I found it to be reliable and enjoyable to drive. The car is now in Winnipeg.

Bill

I can attest to Paul's car being here in Winnipeg.Over the last 2 years I have helped the new owner out on all the little things he needed to know or advise him with the little problems that somehow we all go through.The automatic is flawless in performance

n20p30

Donation Time
IV automatics

I have one here in Dallas, originally from SoCal. Runs great, but cold blooded in the winter and runs hot in the summer. I also have a series VI Minx with BW auto and they run better with the 1725 engine, IMHO.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
Bill,

My SIV (bought in Redding, CA) started life as an auto, but now has a 1725 + od. Incidentally, the original driveshaft didn't need modification to fit the od box. :)

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Our car is automatic (1964 GT FMG459B). I remember reading that only 87 automatics were made but I find that figure difficult to believe.

John Boggis, owner of the 8,500 original mile Series IV Automatic (Balmoral Grey with Azure Blue interior) over in the UK, claims 87. Beautiful car and well-preserved. I questioned him about that number and I believe he claimed documentation from the Rootes Archive Centre.

Tony, could that be right? It does seem awfully low to me. Maybe that's the number they built just in 1964?

RootesRooter

Donation Time
87 sounds low at first, but I've personally only come across two in the Seattle area, where we've always had lots of Alpines, in 34 years of being active in the local Sunbeam club, By comparison, I've found three Harrington LeMans (total production approx 250).

John Boggis, owner of the 8,500 original mile Series IV Automatic (Balmoral Grey with Azure Blue interior) over in the UK, claims 87. Beautiful car and well-preserved. I questioned him about that number and I believe he claimed documentation from the Rootes Archive Centre.

Tony, could that be right? It does seem awfully low to me. Maybe that's the number they built just in 1964?

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I knew of one in Columbus, OH that sold via ebay (I think) last spring or summer. I suppose I could datamine the registry... ;)

A quick scan shows about 16 or so with BW, but half the entries are without any codes. There are probably a few more entries
that indicate "Automatic" over in the right column. Perhaps someone could pop open a can of statistics on the numbers...
Total production vs. what we have listed in our registry, "our" listed automatics vs. total listings, etc.

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor

I have just made another Web search and have found some Production Figures on classicsunbeam.com Auto Parts Catalog site. They give the automatic production as 4,470 between 01/64 and 09/65 compared to 7,936 manuals. So the mystery continues.

RootesRich

Donation Time
I was looking in McGovern's book last night and couldn't find a production number, but did find where he mentioned the autos were well produced in numbers. I wouldn't consider 87 as well produced.

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I was looking in McGovern's book last night and couldn't find a production number, but did find where he mentioned the autos were well produced in numbers. I wouldn't consider 87 as well produced.

Maybe only 87 were built in 1964 with the Balmoral Grey / Azure Blue combination. The American car manufacturers had that kind of data and today's restorers love it, but I don't believe the British manufacturers kept those kind of detailed records.

Where's Boggis when you need him!?!?

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Series IV Automatics

Perhaps 87 right hand drive automatics would make sense, since I'm guessing most of them were exported?

whoizrob

Donation Time
I've got one...

It's in the East Bay Ca. 85K on the odo. Just got her a few days ago and still digging through her carefully, she's in great shape though!

Rob

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I've got one also!!

940 0766 GT BW LRX Color Code 39

With Engine Markings "H" "R" "3" 1980 898 "D" 9-11-64
Sorry to say I purchased it as a spare for one of my other cars.

It was complete except for one caliper that had been removed to be placed on another car.

The BW Automatic transmission was also replaced with an OD.

I've heard much about the BW being a bad choice of Transmission! I have no experience with it but am interested in perhaps going back to it if and when I get through with my current restoration project ('67 SV 1725).

Several of our members have posted info on the BW in the recent past and find much interest in it myself.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Production Numbers

In the book Sunbeam Alpine and Tiger (The Complete Story) by Graham Robson, he states: Alpine IV (1964-1964) numbers built, 12,406.

In the magazine Practical Classics (August 2002) number of automatics built 87.

Bill