• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series II Replacement Radiator Options - if any

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
You ever start a project and it just cascades into more and more projects? Let me introduce you to my 1962 SII.

Put the car on jacks today to start a few winter projects and discovered that the radiator is leaking ... bad. It is not the original radiator, but one out of a mid 1970's Pinto. My options are to try and fix it in place - apparently my brother knew about the leak and has tried several over the counter remedies with obviously no luck, send it out to have it repaired/re-cored or put in an aftermarket radiator. I see Alicool makes one - they are out of the UK, and I've heard a few people post about Griffin units - but they seem to be Tiger focused. Looking for options and input/thoughts.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jeff, If you can find a "good" radiator shop that still does copper, I'd suggest a three tube 16 fins per inch. There is a source for them in Texas. I can provide the contact info for them when I get to the shop.

Several guys have actually sent their Stock Radiators to me and I have a Radiator Man near (45 miles) that makes them for me. Cost is about $400 to $450.

Allan Ballard is a member here on the Forum and has done the V6 in a SI/II that maybe of help to you.

Take a look at the PDF I did on the V6 Radiator mods. I may be of some help also.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
You ever start a project and it just cascades into more and more projects? Let me introduce you to my 1962 SII.

Put the car on jacks today to start a few winter projects and discovered that the radiator is leaking ... bad. It is not the original radiator, but one out of a mid 1970's Pinto. My options are to try and fix it in place - apparently my brother knew about the leak and has tried several over the counter remedies with obviously no luck, send it out to have it repaired/re-cored or put in an aftermarket radiator. I see Alicool makes one - they are out of the UK, and I've heard a few people post about Griffin units - but they seem to be Tiger focused. Looking for options and input/thoughts.

I purchased an Alicool radiator for a Series II and found it to be excellent construction and very light weight. Get the black powder coating and you will have an original looking radiator. I have sent you a private message.

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jeffrey,

If you could post some information about how your car is put together( engine, etc.) and some pics, it might get some better information about your radiator. A Pinto radiator is nothing like a stock S.II radiator.

On the other hand, if you are sure your rad is a Pinto part, Rock Auto has a listing for a new Pinto rad (1 left).

Just a thought,

Don

Jeffrey.Sweeney

Donation Time
Hopefully you you can see the images I D&D'ed to this message.

Attachments

• IMG_3665.JPG
    IMG_3665.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3666.JPG
    IMG_3666.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 42

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Cool! You've still got a Rootes engine - wasn't sure when you said it had a Pinto rad. Pinto 2.0 and 2.3 engine swaps have been done on several occasions. I'm fairly sure that's not a Pinto radiator. Is that a 1725 engine (block serial number starts with B395)? If so, the rad looks to be an Alpine rad, but a late series. You can see the original rad mount holes. You'll need to find the early series style thermostat housing and header tank if you choose to return to the S.II style radiator. The S.II radiator has no radiator cap or way to fill the system w/o the header tank or some other provision.

Don