• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I-II shock conversion kits

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have started compiling a list for those who may want to convert to tube shock set up. I am awaiting the final fabrication quote and will notify everyone as soon as it is available. You can decide then if you want to purchase. This kit is bolt on and requires no cutting,welding on you car should you want to go back to levers or a buyer would want it original.
Thanks to those who have indicated their interest.

johnd

Donation Time
Shock conversion

Just a note to inform you of my interest in this project - and to thank you for your efforts.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Shock Size

Will the end result allow the use of Shocks currently available for Alpines and Tigers or do we need to find a special size?
Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, I am not sure what shocks were fitted to the late series Alpines. But, the shocks I took off this setup is Koni , Special D 80-1696 and the only reason I am not using them is one was blown out and I couldn't get Koni to responde to my calls.However the collapsed-expanded measurements on them is 10" to 15",center to center and they are adjustable of course.
What I put on is Gabriel Gas Ryder,VST, 737661, CO3304A, w/ a similar measurement and I am not disappointed especially w/ 2 persons in the car. It is a smooth and comfortable ride.
W/o measuring my guess this set up may require a shorter shock as the late Alpine is mounted to the upper pan rather than the frame rail as the lever shocks are.
Input is certainly welcome.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Shocks

I am interested if I can run stock shocks. I run konis and QA 1 which are really the way to go. So, that means making the set up identical to a later Alpine or Tiger is the answer. The QA 1 shocks have 18 adjustments all external, just reach the knob and turn, hence you can really get the ideal ride.
Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill, my objective is to make a setup for the early series car that avoids having to cut and weld ; there are other designs that do the same but no one is making them so I decided to give it a go.
I did some measurement tonight on a Series V w/ Spax rears and the center to center is a nominal 18" and the trunk pan and rail seem to be a lot different from the I ans II. The rail is, it seems, more accessible on the early car, but the bottom mount sits at about the same level and position relative to the axle. The measurement on it is 14.5'' , center to center.
Can you find shocks of the make you use to fit this dimension? I don't want to get into another project right now.
I will send some pictures if you want to see them.
Doug

atallamcs

Donation Time
shocks

Hi Doug,
I will dicuss the shock conversion on my SII with the shop doing the work. They specialize in custom hot rods, show restorations etc. I noticed they have a whole department that deals with suspension. I will have them make the set up so as to use the stock shocks. When that is done, I will share the kit with the club. Estimate: ninety days from now.
Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill, I would like to see that professionally built set up . Given the quality car you do I'm sure it will be excellent and meet more than just street demand for a decent ride.
Merry Christmas,
Doug

atallamcs

Donation Time
Shocks

Merry Christmas to you Doug and thank you for the kind remarks. I will get it done and if possible make it a reproduceable kit for other club members.
All the best,
Bill

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
A short time ago the fabricator called w/ a quote to build the kits. W/ the cost of making the weld studs [another shop] it will total $85.00, based on 20 sets.
I need to know if there is enough demand for that many sets; if not, then it may not be a feasible thing to do.
I already have 5 orders so if you are interested let me know soon. If you want to see what they look like I can send pictures, once having an e mail address. I have had so much trouble posting on the forum I don't try anymore, but that's my fault, not the site.
Thanks for your interest.
Doug

anduril3019

Donation Time
Shock Conversion Kit Pictures

For whoever is interested, here are some pictures of bulldurham's early series tube shock conversion mounts for sale. He's asking $85 and needs 20 orders to get them fabbed. Personally, I'm going to offer him an even $100, Merry Christmas. Sounds like the traction bars are for sale also, not part of the shock kit.

Attachments

• DSC04775.JPG
    DSC04775.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC04778.JPG
    DSC04778.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC04749.JPG
    DSC04749.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC04751.JPG
    DSC04751.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC04769.JPG
    DSC04769.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 127

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early series shock conversion

For whoever is interested, here are some pictures of bulldurham's early series tube shock conversion mounts for sale. He's asking $85 and needs 20 orders to get them fabbed. Personally, I'm going to offer him an even $100, Merry Christmas. Sounds like the traction bars are for sale also, not part of the shock kit.

That is more than kind of you Willie, but I will be happy w/ 10-15 orders. W/ shipping the cost it is going to push on to about $95.00 probably.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Early Series Shock conversion Kits

The order for the 1st 10 sets of conversion kits has been placed and I am estimating one month + for the shipping to begin.
I need the following information fro those who ordered a set.
Name
Address
Email address

The cost is $85.00 + shipping cost which I am estimating about $10.00.
I will post the actual shp. cost before mailing the kits.
Thanks and Happy New year.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Paul, based on my measurements you will give up 1/2 inch as measured against the late series; however this kit moves the bottom mount more to the outside as it mounts to the u-bolts and is a bit further behind the axle than is the late series.
It is not an issue w/ regards to speed bumps, etc. due to it's location.