• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I & II Hardtop Stainless Wanted

stevenalcala

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm in the process of restoring my Series II hardtop. I'm having difficulty with the rear window rubber and stainless that surrounds the plexiglass window. I've developed my own rubber, but I need the stainless trim that sits in the rubber. One of my original pieces was damaged in polishing. I'm looking for the two longer pieces, not the corners. I'd prefer to find this in California, so I can pick it up.

Also, if anyone has had any success with the rear window stainless, I'd love to hear about it.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
I didn't install the stainless on my window because i couldn't find the correct seal. But, I was told to install the trim on the seal before installing the window, using the rope/string method and a slippery substance to avoid cutting the seal. After one or two attempts by myself , I sent it out to the pros. I don't think one person can do it. $100.00 bucks later I am dry. The shop said 3 guys did the install.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

The description says for an Alpine or Tiger. To me this would mean the later type of hard top. I don't think this would fit the early Series I/II, but not sure.
Lee

alpine_64

Donation Time
The description says for an Alpine or Tiger. To me this would mean the later type of hard top. I don't think this would fit the early Series I/II, but not sure.
Lee

I think you'll find like most people selling stuff on ebay they dont know what they have. People dont know the difference between early/late alpines.. let alone tiger/alpine. The trim shown is the double curvature trim frmo a factory SI/Ii hardtop.. they probably added tiger to get more interest (and $) and dont know that early and alte pines have different tops.

stevenalcala

Silver Level Sponsor
Hardtop questions

Thanks to everyone who responded to my hardtop question. I was the winning bidder of the SII stainless molding on ebay last week. I still have questions regarding restoration of the hardtop. I had assumed that the proper rear window rubber (with the slot for the stainless) was not available. Sunbeam Specialties has not sold it for years. They sell a generic rubber at this time. After viewing the club's photo gallery, I saw a few restored hardtops with stainless.

Where does one buy the correct Series II hardtop rubber?

Or were these older restorations from a long time ago?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Thanks to everyone who responded to my hardtop question. I was the winning bidder of the SII stainless molding on ebay last week. I still have questions regarding restoration of the hardtop. I had assumed that the proper rear window rubber (with the slot for the stainless) was not available. Sunbeam Specialties has not sold it for years. They sell a generic rubber at this time. After viewing the club's photo gallery, I saw a few restored hardtops with stainless.

Where does one buy the correct Series II hardtop rubber?

Or were these older restorations from a long time ago?

Steve,

I think you will find they are eaither affixed other ways or are the old rubbers.. new ones that are "correct" are just not around.
I may have a "correct" one i got as a spare with my hardtop as it seems to have a groove. I will check later this week.