• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I & II Hardtop Side Seal

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm trying to source the seal/weatherstrip that goes on the sides of the early series hardtop...between the top and the window. Sunbeam Specialties doesn't carry them any more and a couple of places in England that I checked with don't have them either. Does anyone have a work around?...maybe post a photo of the piece and dimensions to see if something could be made from some other source. Attached is a the profile sketch from the Sunbeam parts manual .

Attachments

• Sunbeam Hardtop Weatherstrip.jpg
    Sunbeam Hardtop Weatherstrip.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 25

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I have the original weather strip on my hard top, but I cannot get to it in my garage until the week end when I can move enough stuff to get some dimensions. Anybody else have one to measure?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
The ones sold by SS were literally noodles, I would not expect correct ones to look or work like the SS seals.
Hopefully a more appropriate option arises as I am sure will never use the ones from SS.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Steele Rubber Products likely has something that might work but I don’t know what the dimensions should be

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
The seal dimension is from a J shape with the vertical leg at 3/4" and the total depth from the curve of the J at 5/8". Inside dimension is 3/8" which I believe makes the thickness at 1/8". Vertical part of the J is on the edge of the top and the curved part is where with door glass seals to the hardtop.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    213.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 43

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
I'm trying to source the seal/weatherstrip that goes on the sides of the early series hardtop...between the top and the window. Sunbeam Specialties doesn't carry them any more and a couple of places in England that I checked with don't have them either. Does anyone have a work around?...maybe post a photo of the piece and dimensions to see if something could be made from some other source. Attached is a the profile sketch from the Sunbeam parts manual .
I used a generac wind lace with a side bulb, for the top frame on the Alpine basacilly a chanel with a foam side seal, don't know if something like that will help you, McMaster Carr catalog, I also used the same thing for the door seals (rather that Rick's stuff) although a larger size.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
The seal dimension is from a J shape with the vertical leg at 3/4" and the total depth from the curve of the J at 5/8". Inside dimension is 3/8" which I believe makes the thickness at 1/8". Vertical part of the J is on the edge of the top and the curved part is where with door glass seals to the hardtop.
Is the seal just glued on?

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
The seal is held in plate by a metal strip with screws. See first photo and note the screw head.

Last edited:

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I would check with COH baines in the UK.. Send them the image and dimensions if possible.
COH Baines was a good call Michael. I have five Series I-II hardtops. One is very original and had an original fur flex (flocked) trim piece. All tops have the rubber strip seal that attaches with a flat metal piece. One still had the original supple rubber strip. I was able to find a match at COH Baines https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/irs-0139ep-epdm-angle-rubber-section/. COH Baines also have a close match for the fur flex/metal insert component. It isn't an exact match to the original. However, I believe it could be modified to align by cutting a small section out of the bottom of the round-sponge rubber-attached to the fur flex metal insert or leave as made from COH Banes https://coh-baines.co.uk/product/dx-99-composite-self-grip-type-draught-excluder-w-flocking/. I'm going to order some of this material soon. If anyone is interested I can order more than my needs. I have not found anyone else that carries these Series I-II hardtop to side window seals. Sunbeam Specialties was able to supply the other seals (except rear window seal that will accept the stainless steel trim) I needed and the headliners (black or white).

Last edited:

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
I ended up finding the correct side seal at Sunbeam Spares in the UK. I got the impression that the one I purchased was close to the end of their stock but it's still listed on their web site so it may be worth a check.

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I ended up finding the correct side seal at Sunbeam Spares in the UK. I got the impression that the one I purchased was close to the end of their stock but it's still listed on their web site so it may be worth a check.
I was able to find there 0260 hardtop window piping. However, it appears to be only the metal insert without the sponge rubber seal. Below are photos of examples off one of my hardtops. Is this what you received from Sunbeam Spares?
upload_2021-6-12_18-2-45.png
upload_2021-6-12_18-7-6.png

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
It appears as though Sunbeam Spares does not have the "J" shaped piece (0261) anymore. COH Baines has both as I referenced earlier.