• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series I-3 bezels

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Before XMAS somebody asked if I had data for the Series I-3 bezels.
They had a cousin that was going to machine a set. I can't remember who wrote but if you still want the data send me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward the IGS or STP file.

(BTW< from the previous forum Scott has Kip Motors working on reproductions of these)

Sunbeambezels.jpg

Steve

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
An interesting question has come up on these. I noticed last year at the Invasion that on Steve Kirk's car one of his says "Map" on top and "Panel" on the bottom. Steve Silverstein sent me photos of his new Alpine from Scotland, a Series II, and it also has "Map" and "Panel". The Series 3 cars don't have "Map", just "Panel" on one of the bezels.

Are there other Series II owners out there that have the additional word?

Maybe they used different ones depending on whether the switch installed was a 3 position or 2 position, but that seems complicated.

Oh well, just another thing to add to the book some day!

A

AlpineIan

Scott,

Early Alps had a dual switch that turned on the map light and panel lights... I don't have the serial number for this change in the time line, but would be nice to get. Later SII and S3 had a switch on the actual map light that turned it on, so they did away with the dual switch and bezal. :cool:

Ian

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Duh, you're right, should have remembered that! It's been a while since I studied the Series I and II cars.

65beam

Donation Time
re: panel/map switch

ian,
both of my harringtons have the dual panel/map switches located to the right of the speedometer. the car numbers are 9112185 & 9112251

bob

Wombat

Donation Time
My parts book lists a "Panel Light Switch" for the Series I and a "Panel and Map Light Switch" for the Series II.

It also shows a map light without a switch for the Series II, and one with a switch for the Series III and IV. It seems the Series I missed out on the maplight - but then again the parts book is not infallible.

napa 1

Donation Time
I agree with Robert's findings, and will add that the series III GT with the wood dash did not use bezels, or tags of any kind, but had the labels printed in white on the dash. I have replaced my plastic dash with wood on my series one and found that the bezels a) don't fit without some modification to the back of the dash and b)don't look right against the wood. So I won't be using them. Next question then is did all wood dash cars have the labels printed on the dash?

Wombat

Donation Time
John

The book shows that the Harrington LeMans uses the same bezels as the Series II with its wooden dash. All the other wooden dashboards shown seem to have the labels printed on them. No bezels or tags are shown for cars up to the Series IV. My parts book does not cover the Series V.

I am toying with the idea of putting a wooden dash in my Series IV and will probably reuse the tags from my plastic dash.

A

AlpineIan

Yah... I think my memory was backwards on that one. SI had panel only and used the switch on the map light. SII had the panel/map. You are saying the parts book referrs to it going back to panel only got S3?

Correct... S3 GT cars had no bezals... lettering was added to the wood vaneer and covered with clear coat. S3 ST would have had the bezals with matching heat/vent bezal as seen in Steve's picture.

Harrington Le Mans had white lettering on the faux wood dash... no bezals.

SIV and SV had small metal tags painted black with white lettering that mounted under the chrome mounting nut for the switch.

napa 1

Donation Time
I think we've got it. With the one exception that as far as I have been able to discover during my restoration, the map light did not enter into the picture until series two. Series one did not have a map light option. (although I added one to mine:cool:)

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
STP file for Series I-3

Hi Steve:
Is it possible to receive the STP file/data for the Series I-3 bezels?
It will save me from doing the work in SolidWorks or Inventor!
Regards,
Andrew

They had a cousin that was going to machine a set. I can't remember who wrote but if you still want the data send me a PM with your e-mail and I will forward the IGS or STP file.

(BTW< from the previous forum Scott has Kip Motors working on reproductions of these)

Sunbeambezels.jpg

Steve

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Only the late Series II's and Series 3's had the heater control strip.
So, it is fairly limited.

Steve

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those heater control bezels became available at these VIN numbers:

B9118780 for RHD cars and
B9118766 for LHD cars

AND it was only put on the car if the owner ordered the optional heater / demister kit.

Wombat

Donation Time
Ian

The parts book shows the Series III onward with a maplight with a switch on it. The switch on the dash is panel lights only.

As an aside, the maplight on the Alpine looks the same as the interior light in a Mk 2 Jag (except the Jag light is chromed)

A

AlpineIan

NAPA 1... that's an early S1 you have there.... I kinda think I've seen later S1's with one. I won't swear to that though. I'm a little rusty on these topics these days. :(

alpine_64

Donation Time
As an aside, the maplight on the Alpine looks the same as the interior light in a Mk 2 Jag (except the Jag light is chromed)

its the same model sparto light, and some of the jags also have the one with the same lens as the alpine.

Lester

Donation Time
My S3, has a bakelite dash, with clear plastic bezels w/ white lettering. The heater slider trim is black plastic with white around the edges.
There is no sign of a map light or any interior lights.

lemansvk

Donation Time

Steve

My heater one is OK but I do need a couple of the small round bezels. If someone is machining them maybe they'd like to a couple extra (heck I'd even pay) - Or if there is another source I'd be pleased to hear about it.

Thanks, Vic