• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 5 Rear View Mirror Glass

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I've got a stock rearview mirror off of a series 5. The plastic piece is all chipped and needs to be replaced. I am also missing the glass. From what I hear the plastic piece is impossible to find and I am most likely going to have to go to an upholsterer shop to get a plastic piece. What I need is the glass piece. Does anyone have a lead on where to get the glass?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Check with Eric Gibeaut/65Sunbeam. He has had batches of them made up in the past. Also, please let us know if you have any luck on the plastic piece. I don't recall ever seeing that available.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Sorry- I did have NOS mirror blanks I got in the UK but have sold them all over the years.....Eric

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes .. As i said healey 3000 uses the same mirror head. You can get the backs as well repro...but the healey didnt have the plastic molding the sunbeam did. Apart from that the heads were the same.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is this guy on eBay. Claims it is new.
I've purchase at least four mirror glass from that ebay seller. They fit very nicely and are a good quality.
I had my local glass guy make one for me but it was too thick and didn't fit well. These, while not cheap,
work well.

65beam

Donation Time
Find a glass shop that does more than replace automotive glass. Forget the major chains like safelite , etc. Take the mirror to the shop so they can see it and ask them to cut a mirror to fit.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
For those who don't know-if you are a CAT member you can order from their stock of new parts. This mirror blank being one of the items.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I am a member and they are out of stock and the gentleman who made the repair kit has passed on so the plastic piece is not being made anymore.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry for the false lead. I used to ask them to update the list but it's too much for them. Sometimes they do post in the Tiger Tales. I used to be pretty good at cutting fresh glass it takes some practice though.

Rockonp04

Donation Time
I bought one on ebay. Hopefully its in good usable condition. I pressed the guy on its origins and he got defensive. Hope its good.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
I bought one from the same seller a while ago. Haven't installed it yet, but nothing obvious jumped out regarding its quality.

Mike

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim, the heads are the same but the staem is not and they mount to the scuttle not screen so they are set at a different angle to the sunbeam which leans back at the screen. You can switch the whole head but even if the screw spacing for the stem mijt was the same the rake will probably not work.

I should also make another small note. The healey uses 2 screws on the back to hold the mirror body whereas the sunbeam used rivets... Makes the healey one easier to pull apart... But slightly different.. You can however put rivets in it when installing one into the sunbeam ;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Jim, the mirror head shape and size are the same. The healey ones dont have the platic edge insert the sunbeams do ( that splits and cracks)