• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 Windscreen Pillar Seal

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bernd, after sleeping on the topic and allowing the brain neurons to work properly. I now recall that my PHLM originally had a SI/SII seal. At the time of restoration I had no knowledge of any true replacement. Thus, I used a SIII-V. The difference is the SI/II is smooth and SIII-V is ribbed.

View attachment 22544

The SI/II shown I got from Steven Alcala and the other was given to me by Steve Silverstein after I purchase the #41 Sebring Alpine.

Jerry, big appreciation for your comparative picture. Carefully looking at it shows no ribs on the outside plus less height of the outer lip. It also appears that there is a hollow section. Furthermore the inner round portion has a reduced diameter compared to a S3-5. Amazing stuff . However where to get one. HLM seals are rarer than hen's teeth...

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Steve alcala produced a couple of correct SI/II screen to body seals for his sebring racer.

He made a couple and sold his spare on ebay a few years back.. If COH Baines cant provide it... He might be a good point of call...

There are enough of us that could use the seal to make them worthwhile to repro

Michael, do you have contact to Steven Alcala? I know that he is a CAT member, but only met him briefly once. Anyway would be interested to do a repro run if funds allow for it;)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Seems Jerry will sort you with contacts.

I still think there is a good chance COH Baines in the UK would have the profile..

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a current A post sample from Macgregor coming in shortly. I'll post the profile, but it does have to be cut and glued at the lower end.
also have his door seals finally on the way. I'll post the profile and installed photos also.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
I'm not Bobbo, but I ordered and received from McGregor a couple of years ago. Actually his fabric covered seals and the early windscreen seal were very good. Not sure whether he is still in service.

Regarding the S2 A-Post seal at least that's what the UK Club recommended recently:

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/products/sr25-sponge-extrusion-10

It is not exact to the original, but appearantly can be made to work if carefully glued in place. Haven't tried it myself yet though...

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
3D data taken successfully, but hesitated to do them in ordinary plastics. Still looking for a company who can do them in metal. Getting a smooth, shiny surface by 3D printing is another challenge. Your originals helped me a lot to understand the dimensions & how they were made. For the time being opted to go for a repro out of stainless steel profiles instead. It came out quite well & shiny. Just need to braze the two pieces together and weld the studs on the rear. Of course polishing on the rear also needed. Still garage work & tweaking to do...

upload_2021-6-19_9-24-15.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-19_9-23-27.png
    upload_2021-6-19_9-23-27.png
    344.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks. Was quite pleased with the outcome. The trick is use a shiny 90° pre- canted stainless sheet cut to shape. Some cutting /bending tweaking and bingo. Finding the proper trim shape for the arrow tail is another challenge though. On an incomplete HLM project you learn a lot about fabrication...

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
Actually the studs on mine were soldered on and use a clip inserted in the fender to hold them. Nice job though, I was a bit skeptical on the 3d thing, very impressive.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Soldering on stainless I have never tried though. It seems possible with the proper flux only available from Asia. If anybody has a source I'ld be interested. Another headache with 3D is the inner portion. The result will be thicker or even solid and does not quite achieve the original hollow construction...

alpine_64

Donation Time
Soldering on stainless I have never tried though. It seems possible with the proper flux only available from Asia. If anybody has a source I'ld be interested. Another headache with 3D is the inner portion. The result will be thicker or even solid and does not quite achieve the original hollow construction...
Bernd, the 3d print solidity will depend what type of printer, material and the way it is moddled and then the optimisation for the supports for the print.

We do a fair bit of 3d printing in the office and working out the best orientation to print and how to hollow out the models and what cutaway support we can do takes some practice and time to optimise the result.

Your 3d printed part looks a little thicker at the spear end than the original and the arrow trailimg edges dont have as big a radius and sweep.

What material did they print with... Did they thicken the form for strength or was it based on the prints layer thickness?

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Michael,

some misunderstanding here. We didn't print it yet. The part in picture was hand formed out of stainless sheet/profile. I just had the 3D Catia data investigated by one of the mechanical engineers in the company and he advised on the interior construction. Yep there are still some deviations which I'm working on, but believe the exactly correct trailling rear can only be achieved with a negative form. Wonder how good old Harrington's did them, but heard they had a lot of stainless trim fabrication background from the bus works...

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ah ok... Got you.

Interetsing they are using catia... I havent played with that since uni days.. Super powerful software thats basically limitless. . but learning curve for it the same :p

Id think rhino would allow you to model it very accurately and then print it.

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
junkman; sorry for my absence. Other work encroaches on my passions.
Yes I have the door seals and some samples from MacGregor. he is very much in operation, though slow to respond at times and pricing has to be updated.
I'll post photos tonight.
Bobbo

bobbo

Gold Level Sponsor
Posting some photos of the samples received from MacGregor. Also a photo of the door seal I purchased but haven't installed as yet.
Please note I have no ties to MacGregor (other than he is from across the pond). IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2318.JPG IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2322.JPG IMG_2315.JPG IMG_2316.JPG IMG_2317.JPG IMG_2318.JPG IMG_2319.JPG IMG_2321.JPG IMG_2322.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2325.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 24

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Took Michael's advice and contacted COH Baines in the UK. Below are the two trim pieces I got for the top to door window trim. I could not find this anywhere else.

top trim 1.jpg Top Trim.jpg The original is on the right of each photo. DX99

Top trim2.jpg Top trim 3.jpg The original is on the right of each photo. IRS0139EP

COH Baines was a bit difficult to communicate with. First one will need a shipping quote to place the order online. I did several ordering attempts activating the shipping quote requirement without success. I then attempted several contact attempts via Contact portal. Finally, a Fred replied. Then the order was placed and COH Baines' right hand wasn't communicating with left and I contacted Fred again (Warehouse thought I was going to pickup the order) [If only I had my private jet available]. It literally took weeks to place the order and once completed another two weeks to ship and in the hands of DHL delivery. DHL delivery was prompt. That being said, the product is spot on in my opinion.

Last edited: