• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 rear axel, new or rebuilt

kkelly225

Donation Time
Need at least a ring and pinion for my 62 series 2, abnormal wear on set in car, pretty noisy. Willing to pay shipping, thanks!

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Need at least a ring and pinion for my 62 series 2, abnormal wear on set in car, pretty noisy. Willing to pay shipping, thanks!

kkelly,

Welcome to the forum.

"abnormal wear on set in car, pretty noisy" Did you find many of the ring gear bolts loose? Or had someone tried to tighten them?

Just for informational purposes, do you know what the ratio is in your differential?

Your state location might help as well.

Don

kkelly225

Donation Time
Thanks Don! I’m in Spokane Washington, I believe it is a 3.89 ratio. It has been noisy since I bought the car 6 years ago, first thought axel bearing but the noise didn’t change taking sharp corners. So I thought pinion bearing. The shop that does this stuff for me just went through the rear end and only found the uneven wear in the ring and pinion, so I’m looking to replace them.

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
I have an extra used 3:89 which is out of the rear end housing. Does anyone know how to test if is good or a howler?
Thanks.
Tom

kkelly225

Donation Time
Hey Tom! I don’t know how to test for noise but if the surfaces look good and clean I’d be interested in them, let me know if you’d might part with them.

fonz

Silver Level Sponsor
to check, you can use some white lithium grease on the ring rear(not much) then rotate it 360 degrees and look at the "wear pattern". that is a tell tail sign if it is SET correctly. MAY just be set too loose, also check "Carrier Bearings"