• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Series 2 parking brake cable

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Should a took more pictures (continued)

Take a look at this parking brake cable and tell me what's wrong. It's the one that came out so it should go back in.
That's assuming it was proper in the first place and not damaged.
What should be the length of the shield vs the cable?

Assumptions:
The cable should slide in the shield. (it does not at this time)
The shield should butt up to the "U" bracket at the cockpit leaver.
The other end should fit into the end of the axle housing bracket so the spring loads against the actuating leaver to the wheels. (misses by about 3")

Thanks
(pictures help, I'm a visual learner)

Attachments

• park brake cable 1.jpg
    park brake cable 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 43
  • park brake cable 2.jpg
    park brake cable 2.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 43

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for replies.
The issue boils down to, if it's even the proper cable, since the shield seems to be 3" too short.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for replies.
The issue boils down to, if it's even the proper cable, since the shield seems to be 3" too short.

jmahall,

Looking at your pics, I suspect how you have the cable routed is most of your dilemma. The first thing I notice is the missing "U" bracket that holds the end of the cable housing mounted to the floor almost next to the lever well. The "U" bracket goes across the alloy piece on the end of the cable housing to provide a reaction stop to allow the inner cable to operate. The cable assembly then proceeds back and across the rear spring to the axle mounting point. I think there is a "P" clip type fixing at the wheel arch to prevent the housing from riding on the rear spring.

It also appears, in your first photo, someone has placed a spacer on the inner cable to eliminate some cable slack. If everything is mounted and run correctly, the spacer might not be needed.

Just some thoughts,

cable 002.JPG

cable 010.JPG cable 025.JPG

Last edited:

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Not sure if this helps, it's the only picture I could find.
bmw8209IMG_2451-XL.jpg

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Not sure if this helps, it's the only picture I could find.

Tony,

Just a guess, did you rearrange your parking brake linkage to accommodate your shock conversion?

Still looks amazing with everything in that small space.

Have fun,

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Tony,

Just a guess, did you rearrange your parking brake linkage to accommodate your shock conversion?

Still looks amazing with everything in that small space.

Have fun,
No not really, I added the parking brake linkage to the Datsun axle when I installed it. It did clear with the Sunbeam axle. That was over 25 years ago, I now have a Mazda RX7 axle with LSD and disc brakes with the same shock mounts, it is way better.
RIMG0420-XL.jpg

jmahall

Silver Level Sponsor
Your not going to believe this but not 15 minutes ago I discovered just what you said, wrong routing. When I took it apart there was a wire jury rigged to the cable to hold it up, (see a past post Aug 4 2021). Now I just need to free up the cable inside the shield and we are good to go.

PS: I'm attaching a jpg of the shock conversion, complete and installed.

Attachments

• Suspension Rear 10.jpg
    Suspension Rear 10.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 22