• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

series 1 water pump $$$$

napa 1

Donation Time
Been disassembling the engine bay this weekend preparing for the new Weber set up etc. Also replacing generator and starter, and anything else I can get at. While I've got this all apart, is there any reason I can't install a series II water pump for $55 rather than the $260 series one pump? Since I'm using the new weber manifold, I won't have the coolant going through the manifold like in the Zenith set up. Is there something majorly different about the series one water pump?

Thanks.

Jim E

Donation Time
Think the difference is in the size of the neck on the pump the SI is smaller than the rest as I recall.

Wombat

Donation Time
John

The difference that will cause problems to the installation is the length of the pump. The measurement from the back of the pump to the pulley mounting flange is 4" on the Series I, but 4.87" on the Series II onward. So the water pump pulley will not line up with the others if you use the later pump. Maybe if you got a Series II crankshaft pulley and generator mounting bracket things will line up with the Series II pump, but I don't know of anyone who has done that.

I think the radiator hose fitting is also smaller.

PS Check the dimension of your pump from the back of the body to the front of the pulley hub. It is barely possible that someone else in the last 47 years has swapped in Series II bits

S

Steve Kirk

I think I may have a new series 1 water pump. I seem to recall fitting it to my series 2 and finding a difference.

Wombat

Donation Time
There may be a way around the length problem. Look towards the end of this page:

http://www.sa.hillman.org.au/Ern_ADL1.htm

The dont say what the pulley came off. The parts manual lists the same crankshaft pulley for the SI and SII, but different water pump pulleys. It seems likely that the SII pump with the SII pulley will fit on an SI and keep the bely alingment right. Clearance from the radiator may be a problem, I dont know how close the fan runs to the SI radiator and the size of the hose fitting may still be a problem.

lemansvk

Donation Time
The 'Peter Tavener' mentioned on the Hillman SA Club page is a friend of mine, I could ask him what the pulley was off if you like. Mind you, I can't guarantee that he will remember :)

Cheers, Vic

Wombat

Donation Time
John

Have you looked at classicsunbeam.com? They list the Series I water pump at $89.95. I know they are on the East Coast so you have to figure in freight. I have not seen any negative comments about them on the Forum.

I have been spending the afternoon puting together a list of the parts I need and the prices. Scary stuff.

Vic

That was 9 or 10 years ago. would tax anyone's memory.

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks alot for the help and the leads guys. Looks like Steve's got the series one pump I'm looking for.