• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

September Cars and Coffee this Saturday

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
There are to be two Alpines at the Dallas show this Saturday, a Ford V6 and a Buick V8. In a few months, Bill Mohr will join us with his stock Alpine. We will be in the British car section and will take pictures of any other interesting cars.
One that I like is a Cad Allard kit with a Jag DOHC 6 engine; a finely finished car.

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
We arrived at the show at 8 am and the LOT FULL signs were already up, so we parked in a nearby office lot and walked over to the British car section. Enroute, we came across Lloyd Baker and wife with his V8 Alpine which he had to park on an "end cap" because the British car section was overflowing.

There were a lot of spectators there to see the cars. As we made our way about , a pattern became apparent - the car dealers were taking over the show - whereas there were only a few cars that were obviously dealer-displayed, this show had many. For instance:

1. The British car section was full of very expensive cars with no older middle of the road vehicles. I counted 5 e type Jags (one a pristine v12 and the only one of interest) , 2 new and 2 old Rolls Royce sedans, three new Bentley sedans and a new convertible.
2. The BMW section was packed as usual, but mostly with new cars.
3. There were six(6) brand new Tesla sedans in a row, complete with tripods with description and a salesman working the group.
4. The exotic supercar section has always had dealer cars with a sales person or two, but it was packed this time with more cars than ever. With one or two exceptions, they were the same cars on display for the past several months - HO HUM.
5. There were 30-40 late model Mustangs and a similar number of late model Camaros - Ho Hum again.
6. Corvettes were here there and yonder, too numerous to count.
7.The few Shelby Cobras and Vipers were not grouped as usual, but spread out all over the lot.
8 There were much fewer custom and hot rod cars than usual - no room is my guess.
9. The Z car section was full as always with several brand new cars with dealer tags.
The highlight of the show for me was a red TR3A in show condition - same as I drove in college except mine had wire wheels! Again, this classic British car was double parked far from the British section.

Conclusion - This show was great for first time visitors (lots of them there) who came to see late model cars; even my grandson, who has been to a half dozen shows, saw only two new supercars that he had not photographed multiple times before; jaded already at only 13?
We left early as more spectators were walking in and some of the more interesting (to me) cars were already leaving too; (seen one new Aston Martin, seen them all?)
I will look for other shows such as antique, British, or sports car only so as not to be crowded out by new cars shown by dealers.

I invite comments by Bill Mohr and Lloyd Baker who were also there as to their impressions.
PS - MY opinions just MAY have been biased by the fact we prepped the Alpine last evening and the only folks that saw it today were those taking pix of it in the office parking lot! It did run well on the 40 mile drive in to the show, cruising 65-70 at around 2500 RPM - not even enough to make the pipes resonate.:rolleyes:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Go where the money is

Sorry to hear that the show was lined with car salesman. Newport Beach and Irvine has always been the Beverly Hills of the beach set. There are other shows that can be seen at.

http://www.socalcarculture.com/events.html

or

http://centralcoastbritishcarclub.com/

or

http://www.austin-healey.org/node/5087

or
http://sandiegobritishcarday.org/portal/

Today I went to the 1st Sat. show in Palos Verdes at Pennisula Center, a scaled down Irvine like event well over 100 cars with a lot of regulars.
Later at 9am was a CAT club autocross at Long Beach Veterans stadium today. For a change the course was not too tight and the Morgans looked beatable but that said it is always a compete against the clock no standings event.

Personally I like events that are non pay regular Joe kind of events

crs

Gold Level Sponsor
Warren,
It is not that I do not like to see new cars (Tesla has had one at the last several shows), it is just that I hate to see a public show dominated by car dealers to the extent that the public cannot get their cars in. For example, what if this privately owned E TYPE could not get in?

Or this privately owned F Type?

The red one is nice, but has no character compared to the other.

Last edited:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I haven't been to that particular C&C before but I know if you don't arrive at the one in Irvine by 0630 your going to end up parking off in a corner somewhere. Heck, by 0730 cars are starting to trickle out.

I have noticed more 'dealer' cars lately but so far they have been a little on the exotic side (like 3-wheel high HP vehicles). They've been pretty good about keeping out most suped up mid-life crisis new Camaro's and Mustangs and keeping space more for true classics and exotics. I hope it stays this way.

Great links Warren. I'll be at San Diego British Car Day.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
New cars etc.

I can look at new cars all the time on the 405. The idea that a classic car hot rod event with "dealer" new cars sucking up the pavement is lame. My point is I have driven for a hour once time to go there and it was 7 ish and lots of guys were leaving. It's a long way to go for a Fourbucks cup of coffee and 20 min walk. I like the new Mini's but they too are all over the 405 and are hardly vintage or British anymore.

All that aside a new F type is pretty darn nice, but if I had one it would feel just like the Tiger, all dressed up and no place to go...

Probably can't make the San Diego British but maybe this one.

www.englishmotorsatfairbrook.org.

We had about 20 cars at the CAT club auto X too bad the only Alpine was Steve Acala's beauty.

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Charles,

I missed this thread earlier. When I heard you couldn't get in, I was very surprised. The lot filled up much faster than usual it seems. I was still hoping to bump into y'all and was bummed not to get to see your car. I hear you about the Teslas, but the I thought the exotic car section was about the same as usual with the exception of the Ferrari 365 GTS/4. On the upside I saw 3 VW Beetles, a VW Camper Van, and a couple of BMW Isettas. I saw a California Special Mustang, some nice Cobra replicas, some nice old American muscle cars. I too saw the plethora of late model Mustangs, Corvettes, and Cadillacs. Although I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time, that part seemed about like the other times I've been.

All I know is if I spent all night spiffing up the car and then drove an hour or so to the show only to see the 'Lot Full' sign, I'd be mad. Hope you can make the October one. Mine should be running by then and maybe I can save you a spot since I live closer.

If can I'll upload some pictures later.

robertf

Donation Time
This is why I stopped going to Dallas C&C. 7:30 wasn't early enough and the British area mustangs in it.