• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sending the body to a paint shop - What should installed?

spudman5

Donation Time
I have completely removed everything from my SV, had it media blasted, and epoxy primed with black epoxy.
The engine compartment and the undercarriage have 2 coat of epoxy so I could leave these as is if I wanted to.
I currently have the car body on a rotisserie with nothing installed on the body.

What I'm trying to find out is how much of the car should be re-installed before taking the car to the body shop for painting.

Should any of the suspension (front or rear) or other components (hood, doors, trunk lid, headlight rims, engine bay stiffeners, etc.) be installed?

As a second question, how should the car body be supported when it is painted? Should the car remain on the rotisserie or I have some small dollies I made which attach to the under carriage. I'll probably undercoat the car so painting the under carriage shouldn't be needed (Already have 2 epoxy primer coats on the undercarriage).

I will talk with the body shop on their preferences, but I want input from other Alpine owners who have gone through this.

Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike, Whom ever you have doing the paint and body work should give you a good idea as to how they want to handle the job.

I did mine on the rotisserrie with nothing attached. Painted each piece seperately.

Choices, choices, choices:)

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
My body shop painted the car on the rotisserie after I had epoxy primed it. Once they had got it how they wanted I took the suspension to the bodyshop and we fitted it and dropped the car from the rotisserie back onto its wheels.

This video shows some of the process.

Best Wishes,

Tim R

65beam

Donation Time
Photos of my Series 4 @ Tiger Auto. The same was done to our Series 5. Same basic procedure except Doug opens the sills on both ends and uses a 3M product to protect the inside of the rockers. Then panels are reinstalled . Many cars also have a large opening where the inner fender meets the outer body panels and if too large for proper use of seam sealer he welds in an extra panel to narrow the gap. The top of the rear inner fender panel is also removed to allow access to other areas of the B post area. Then closed up. These bodies have been thru a chemical strip tank process prior to any work.

Attachments

• 107_0421.JPG
    107_0421.JPG
    263.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 107_0387.JPG
    107_0387.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 107_0389.JPG
    107_0389.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 107_0413.JPG
    107_0413.JPG
    331.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 107_0415.JPG
    107_0415.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 34
  • 107_0440.JPG
    107_0440.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 107_0441.JPG
    107_0441.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 107_0439.JPG
    107_0439.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_0545.JPG
    100_0545.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
The current Harrington project ready to be painted. The underneath, interior and everything else had already been painted.109_0773.JPG

spudman5

Donation Time
Thank you everyone for the information.
I'll follow-up with the paint shop to see if they want to use the rotisserie or not.
I'll start my list of everything that needs to go to the shop for paint so I don't miss something.

Seeing the pictures of the cars heading to the paint shop and coming back make me excited to get mine to the shop. Two years since I had the body primed. I already painted and assembled almost everything, just waiting to go back on the car. I've been dragging my feet long enough. Time to get to the paint shop.
Besides the TEAE United will in the Midwest this year, only a couple of hundred miles away from me. It would sure be awesome to drive my restored Alpine there next year.

Mike