• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Screws ?

John Boggis

Donation Time
I know originally the screws for the Petrol tank covers were No 6 size oval head and fit a No 6 washer cup...but are the screws cross head or blade head ??

jmthehermit

Donation Time
If the year, model, and VIN are not included in any statement, this section of the forum will get very confusing. For instance, I happen to have a later Series IV with VIN B94101947. It has a full synchro transmission while the B940xxxx's had the non synchro first gear. Now although that information of the change is available other owners might not know it and will get confused. They will wonder why their Series IV is different. When dealing with factory original, let's face the fact, that it can get to the point of becoming fanatical and anal! Hopefully understanding and cooler heads will prevail in all the upcoming discussions. I can and will only submit facts that I find on my cars. Both of my cars have their own webshots albums that provide pictures to verify a statement. We all know the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. By providing the cars info, this can possibly turn up unknown running production changes too. Jeff

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
John - I haven't looked in a while, but at one point I did a study of all the various fasteners based on the comprehensive section in the factory parts manual. If you have one, check it out. It takes a while to "decode" the language and abbreviations, but I believe you will find the answer in that section.

Eventually I'd like to post stuff like that on our Technical Data section, but as you know it takes lots of time and effort to research and document.

John Boggis

Donation Time
Hi Scott
I have checked out the parts manual and, although it gives the size and tells you that the screws were oval head, it is not really clear what type they are.
As you may be aware, I have been doing a lot of detailing of my Alpine over the winter months, and, although the car is to all intents and purposes, finished, I am checking different parts to make sure that I am factory correct.
Maybe if you have not got the information to hand, Ian Spencer might be able to help.
I know you have talked in the past about compiling a technical data section and maybe this new area of the forum might kick start those plans - let's hope so!

65beam

Donation Time
screws

i'm sure that rick at sunbeam specialties has all the proper screws available in the correct size and shape . so far he has had everything that i have asked for . check his catalog and he lists the description of the fasteners . i assume they are right since he does supply parts to many tiger owners and if they satisfy them ,the gotta be right ! you also will find his parts to be duplicates of originals if at all possible . the washer bottles are a good example.

John Boggis

Donation Time
I have been on Sunbeam Specialties web site and in this particular area they are not very factory spec. The Petrol tank covers they sell are made of plastic where the originals were cardboard also the fastenings they sell are stainless steel.

On my Series 1V I have the original card covers but I'm not sure on the screws. I have seen both types on Alpines but which is correct ?

65beam

Donation Time
screws

john,
i think you misunderdtood my point about sunbeam specialties . rick is very knowledgable about what was used on the cars . he duplicates what was used by the factory if possible and uses modern materials . if you were to buy some of the fasteners from him , you would have an excellent piece to use to track down screws in the original material . it would be very easy to walk into a shop and show them the screw and let them find them in the material of you choice . since you have a series 4 and might want an excellent non yellowed washer bottle, buy one from rick. you'll see the quality of what he sells .

John Boggis

Donation Time
I see where you are coming from now ! I'll give Rick a call on Monday and see what he has to say.

Thanks for your help.