• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Safe" places to draw power from

Scotty

Silver Level Sponsor
Apologies upfront if this belongs in Modified.

Preface: I have an early Series IV

As many of you know, I had issues with my brake lights, so I took the advice to test a wire with a live 12v that I made with battery wire and plugged it into the Map Light hot because it worked and seemed reliable and from the schematic (correct me if I'm wrong), that line is fused at the box.

The flasher plug went bad and I'm using an aftermarket turn signal switch so I rewired that part and tested it with the Map Light wire I made and it all works. I did the same for a mechanical brake switch I put together and same thing. I installed a new horn and a horn relay with a fuse and it works as well.

I can read a schematic but to make sure I'm not going to set the car, or myself, on fire, and I'm trying to do a clean and safe a job as possible with this and would like some advice. I know I'm going to have to search for why I'm not getting power but I don't know enough of the basics to make a go of it and I am not seeing bad, frayed or damaged wire anywhere... yet.

To add to that intellectual pyre, my mechanical gauges, save the Speedo, do work. Tach does not. All panel lights, ignition light and headlight dash light do work. The panel turn signal doesn't work for obvious reasons. The blower works.

Right now I'd like to know what lines are safe to draw power from that are already in the harness. I know the flashers and horn need a lot of seperate power(?) and the brake needs minimal and I'm hesitant to put them all on the same line that the map light is on because it seems potentially dangerous. Am I being dumb or overcautious?

I have to get this car to pass inspection and am under pressure at the residence I am currently living at, so the sooner I can get that and my tags, the sooner I can open up time to tackle the rest. This will be a daily driver and I need it to be safe. I know a wiring harness change to Rebel is probably the best way to go, but time is an issue right now. What can I do, gang?

loose_electron

Donation Time
In the future, re-wire the car end to end.

To solve your immediate problem. the battery feed connects straight to the starter solenoid(relay) - With the battery disconnected, wire an inline fuse to that end of the battery feed. That will get you a fused, hot all the time, power feed for your brake lights. You MUST put an inline fuse (5A should do for just the brake lights) right near the starter solenoid in this wire.

Then reconnect the battery, and you should be good to go.

When you get the time to do it right, re-wire the car from front to back with a new wiring harness with proper fusing. The original design, new from the factory, was never safe.