• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Sad news

Mikeflbmer

Bronze Level Sponsor
For all of you that knew him....Paul Schofield passed away last night.....He lived in NV and a Great Guy....Loved Sunbeam Alpines and Tigers and restored them......was in process on a Tiger......Hos passing was sudden and unexpected.....Aortic Rupture....I have sold him Parts in Past.....Met him at Suni and other uniteds......RIP my friend

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
R.I.P. Paul

I will certainly miss his viewpoints.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Don

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I try to post on the other thread, this is what I get:
John W, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
I thought Paul was very frank and very fair, unlike a bunch of guys who think they own the Sunbeam world. There isn't a nicer guy on the planet than Mark, Volvoguys. Alpine1789, Scott Christe, Mike Phillips and a very few more are about as good as it gets. I wish I could say that for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thank you, John, for the kind words. Knowing that you have a favorable opinion of me is meaningful .... and to publicly comment is appreciated.

Please don't allow the tragedy of Paul's passing keep you from contributing to these forums as you have. Your absence will mean that there is one less voice offering testimony to the joy of this underappreciated marque, the cars that Paul loved. I hope you reconsider.

R.I.P. Canisdog

Mark ..... volvoguys

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I met Paul at one of the early (first?) Invasions. He introduced himself, said I probably knew him as Canisdog and in the same breathe, apologized for his brusque internet manner. There was an honesty about him that was very rare and refreshing. His admittance of doing several years of hard time is an example. I don't think I could do that.

He will be missed.

Bill

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Whoa

We talked weekly. His hard time he must have been his former day job. He told me he worked at a prison in the food service mgmt. His gruff tough guy and what I would call a straight shooter, he liked to hunt and had been just allowed by the feds to have some special quiet goodies for his for predator hunting. I doubt they give felons those things.

He was a sneak it up on you type you'd wouldn't even feel the bible thumping or the direction and help with doing the right thing in any discussion.

I'm say that our last conversation was about the usual Tiger stuff and his display engine and it's assembly with parts from many other Tiger guys. It makes me sad as the museum piece has a questionable future. I hope his son can pick up where he left off. An emoji just doesn't cut it.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Whoa?

Unless I've been dreaming, Paul fairly recently posted that he had served several (seven?) years for theft. Someone commented that not returning a library book was no big thing, Paul's reply was that he had tried to steal the entire library.

Perhaps said only for effect. I don't know. I feel no need to pursue the issue as I'm not prosecuting him.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
If I try to post on the other thread, this is what I get:
John W, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

The only forum restricted is the SAOCA Members and Discussion Forum, which only allows Posts by donating members. We use this sub forum for SAOCA voting and such, that's why it was restricted. Not sure everyone knows that. Maybe it's something to revisit.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mr Bill, I believe Paul was a Master at adding that little twist to comments to cause you (me too) to give thought to the subject matter.

Had lots of dealings with him while he was the canisdog (Kansas dog) where I would visit my son in Pratt, KS. Picked up and sent several parts over the years. Most recent was part of a firewall panel he wanted to make for His Tiger Mock-up.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The only forum restricted is the SAOCA Members and Discussion Forum, which only allows Posts by donating members. We use this sub forum for SAOCA voting and such, that's why it was restricted. Not sure everyone knows that. Maybe it's something to revisit.

Todd,

A couple of suggestions:

The SAOCA Members and Discussion Forum should be clearly identified as being restricted to those who donate.

The status of "donators" should be updated on a timely basis.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Barry, At present and as before the Membership Director has been mainly doing the Donation updates. Sometimes the VP has been tasked to assist.

I might add, at present the updates are mostly done timely, However some might have slipped by due to the extra efforts being given to "update" the new site.

Of course I might be guilty of making excuses or playing ignorant but I do not have adequate training to make some of these updates. Ever effort is being made to keep this site going full time. A recent glitch stopped some transactions by our members for a short time. Soon it was back to normal due to all volunteer efforts by Todd and Greggers.

We have had lots of suggestions from our membership on improvements of which adoption will be made in the new site upgrade.

Enjoyed see you at the Norcross Show.... Steve Pace wanted to meet up but could not find you there at the last minute. SD Pace was the Guy in the first time show Red V6 Alpine.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Additional comments related to my last post....

Probably need to move comments like these to:

"How Do I? and Other Board Problems
Technical issues relating to this forum or the club web site".

DanR

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
SAOCA's loss is dwarfed by the Paul's loss to his family and those closest to him. Our prayers and support go to them. I hope to have his address pm'd to me shortly and will send condolences to them on behalf of the membership and Board.

We give thanks for his contributions.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Text

I had gotten a text from Paul's phone Thursday afternoon from his wife advising me of the situation. I had sent a reply asking what are her plans no response yet.

As I said before Paul was a hunter and it was most likely said for effect that he was on the inside. He told me specifically that he worked in the food service at a prison. Lately that he had Federal firearms permissions that don't go to Felons. Our last conversation was of the length of the exhaust pipes and which one goes where on the display engine on Wed.

I get same message on other thread. Paul would tell me not to be a cheapskate, which is exactly what I told him when he was talking a non renewal of his CAT membership.We agreed to disagree on the fact that it's hard to be a paid member on every board to which we contribute. He played tough and when he did I'd joke with him and say yes Mr. Luthor like I was talking to the evil nemesis of Superman. In reality he was a tough talking easy guy who jumped into a Vegas flood control channel to save a bum being carried to his possible death last year. Then he later employed the same bum, I mean homeless person picking him up at Home Depot as a day laborer. I have a part in my outgoing mail for him that'll stay home now it was an, "You really want me to cut off a metal bracket hood prop holder," and his reply was the chrome guy screwed mine up.

Alpineracer8

Donation Time
Paul's passing

Guys:

I agree with everyone here who thinks that Paul was a real stand up guy, but I especially agree with Nick. What we are facing right now with the loss of Paul's presence on this forum pales in comparison to what his wife and family must feel. I suggest that we all continue to keep them in our thoughts and prayers for the foreseeable future.

My .02 worth,

Mark B

Donation Time
I have not been on in a while and was saddened to see Paul's passing when I logged in. During his time in Colorado, we met up on 3 or 4 occasions to look at Alpines & Tigers that were for sale, and he really knew his Sunbeams. He restored cars to an exceptional level and I was happy to locate and retrieve an original opal Series 3 OD light for him. He was very helpful during my restoration and I was happy to trade some rare parts I accumulated for a dilapidated wooden steering wheel that I restored and is proudly guiding my Alpine to this day. He had his viewpoints and certainly came across strongly at times, but to know him in person was a very different story. Super nice and generous. I will remember him as I drive.

Mark B