• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S5 Crankshaft

bkasl

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looking for a S5 crankshaft I can use in a rebuild of a 1725 engine to possibly drop into my S2 Alpine. The exisiting crank is too well worn and requires welding and machine work which my mechanic thinks is a last resort.
Also, I know it is a common problem to have pitting inside cylinder heads, I have two to show, is it best to build up welds to correct this problem or are their also some good used heads available? Thanks Brent

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Looking for a S5 crankshaft I can use in a rebuild of a 1725 engine to possibly drop into my S2 Alpine. The exisiting crank is too well worn and requires welding and machine work which my mechanic thinks is a last resort.
Also, I know it is a common problem to have pitting inside cylinder heads, I have two to show, is it best to build up welds to correct this problem or are their also some good used heads available? Thanks Brent

There are some good cranks still out there, along with near perfect heads.

I myself have been hoarding a few of each for some time.

Perhaps someday they will be worth something huh?

Edit, OH I didnt answer any of your questions...

The crankshaft is iron, which is tough to weld.
I'd pay big bucks for a good std journal crank before even thinking about having any welding done.

Heads:
Yeah, they get corroded in the water passages.
You can hold out for a good one on ebay, or send it to Smitty and have it welded up (I hate dealing with Smitty, but wouldnt trust anyone else to do the welding).

Either way, could take years for you to get a really good head.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
That must be one worn-out crankshaft. If it is the crankpins that are way worn out of specification, the chevy rod modification could save it again.
Just about every head will need about $400 in welding & machining to get it serviceable again. This is usually in the water transfer holes in the head surface and just about every engine that I rebuild anymore, needs this performed.
Jan

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
For the crankshaft try our friend Arnoud from http://www.rootesparts.com/. He is doing completely new 1725 shafts. But make sure to order the four flywheel screws as well since shafts are for a Hunter and feature metric threads. Otherwise no difference. Ordered 2 pcs. myself and they are simply mint.

Best regards

Bernd