• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S3 Gt V6 Rhd

Jim E

Donation Time
Where to start on a description.....

The car has the V6 Jose conversion kit.

Engine....
New Holley 390 manual choke with a pro tune
Offy intake ported to match the heads.
Heads... 2.9 valves, Isky springs and retainers, fully ported to the Pruett specs, bronze guides, steam vents drilled, smog ports plugged.
Valve covers, UK spec alloy fined Ford units.
Block, later version 2.8, 30 over
Cam, Jose's spec ground on an aftermarket crane cam
Rods, lightend and polished with ARP rod bolts
Rotating assembly balanced
High valum oil pump and new driving rod
New water pump
Volvo fan
Recored Alpine radiator, this thing never over heats
Dizzy, Ford dura spart triggering a Crane HI 6 box
Clutch, metal button disc with custom pressure plate made by Ram clutch, the flywheel is a Ranger unit not a MII.
Wilwood pull slave
T5 trans from a 3.8 Mustang, very smooth shifting
PRO 5.0 shifter with an Alpine handle and one of those Alpine wood shift knobs.
Custom made drive shaft
Stock Alpine rear end with 4.22 gears, ring bolts have been done, hardened axle keys, hubs have been sleeved, all new seals in rear end.
Traction bars, bolt on LAT units.
Brakes have all been rebuilt new rubber hoses SS pistons in the calipers and a Lockheed servo

Ok now what...

This is a S3 GT, which means no soft top. I bought this car from Ian and he did a lot of the work on the car for his brother. When I got the car it was a wire wheel car with a stock drive train and pretty nice paint. So....
Paint, new black this is the blackest black you can get which is a stock Toyota color. The car took a light hit in the front, kid backed a truck into the front, we fixed it with lead and sanded the car to almost bare metal and fixed any rust with lead. It had just a couple finger tip size holes by the rear wheels. The paint is nice not perfect but very nice and has never been buffed.
New wiring harness
Stock wood dash not perfect but pretty nice too.
Cool Cats voltage stabilizer
After market tach and speedo other gauges are stock. Tach does not work needs a thing called a tach adapter due to the Crane HI6 cost about 40 bucks.
Interior black, seats are SV over all pretty nice but the GT rolls need to be recovered.
After market wood steering wheel, like SS sells
Roll or guess you call it a show bar
No bumpers on the car but I have a set for it
car comes with peaked or non peaked headlight rims
Exhaust exits in front of the rear wheels
Shelby minilites with Sumitomo 205 60 13 tires
Hard top, rust free unit painted the same color as the car new headline windows and rubber.
All emblems were shaved, door handles and trunk hinges are new repops

Car has about 4000 miles on it since the conversion was completed. This is a very solid car but has had one floor pan replaced and I glassed another one because it had some pin holes.

This is a well sorted car that is a pleasure to drive and a very nice mover. On the last trip to the Invasion I got near 26 MPG on the highway. For sure I have left something out but will answer all questions. titled as a 1963

I will post pictures shortly but am sure most are familiar with this car.

$15k or best offer it has to go.

Jim E

Donation Time
Oh yeah... knew I forgot something, when I painted the car I shaved all the emblems off it.

Lets see... also the door handles are new

The car can be had with out things if wanted such as the minilites or hard top or if you want peaked headlight rims or some such.

Jim E

Donation Time
Here is a picture of my car if anyone is interested I will post or send more images.

Attachments

• IMG_2635.JPG
    IMG_2635.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 309

Jim E

Donation Time
Anyone interested in this car if it were in the $10-12k range? minus the hard top and nitrus kit

AlpineIan

SAOCA Founder
Hey guys.. this is a really good body. Was very solid. We did replace the right rear floor board with one of Jan's panels.

I've been in this car and it goes like stink!

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
If I recall correctly, this car was for sale a couple years ago in original condition with wires and a 1725 for only $7,500. Now with all this modification, it might could be had for $10. That's a lot of work and $ for $2,500. Unless you get your money's worth racing. I bet everyone frequents local drag strips knows this car.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jan,

I don't think Jim has ever taken it to the drags, but I can tell you from experience, that if it had a locker differential, lift bars and a set of slicks, it would go mid to low 13's at about 104 mph. On a good day, I wouldn't be surprised to see a high 12. Jim's engine has a couple of things my first Alpine didn't have, and that is the larger 2.9 valves, a professionally built carburetor and a set of 4.22's. Mine ran 14.50's at 100 mph flat. His engine should be making 20 hp. more and a set of lower gears; mine were 3.89's. I never ran a locker nor had slicks for it, so had to ease it out of the hole, which kills e.t.'s. The top end speed shows the power it had though.

Jose :)

Jim E

Donation Time
Have not ran it at the track, you cannot launch this car REAL hard it will just blow away the tires, would need to pedal out of the hole and be careful when you go in second not to spin. The 205 Sumitomos are just not sticky enough to hook the car up, oh I imagine it would be some better at the track compared to the street due to the sticky they put down at the track. I supose if I dropped the air pressure it would help and change the traction bars from the LATs to slappers. Actually what would be nice is a set of Cal-tracs [not sure of the spelling] that is THE traction bar. The other reasons I have not taken it down the strip are without the hard top not sure I can get past tech with out a cage and arm restraints. Then the biggie is I am affraid I might break it if it does hook not sure how well the stock rear end will stand up to that sort of thing. Drag racing is a slippery slope.... I can see it now.... ok broke the rear end time for an 8 inch with a locker and a set of Cal-tracs... may as well bolt the goofy gas on it.... heck now it needs a set of slicks.... opps to fast need a full cage..... rats melted a piston too much spray...may as well build a bigger motor....guess it is on race gas now need a fuel cell....time to get a tow rig... need an automatic and a trans brake...lets call Pinks....
Yeah think I will stay off the track....

Jim E

Donation Time
If I recall correctly, this car was for sale a couple years ago in original condition with wires and a 1725 for only $7,500. Now with all this modification, it might could be had for $10. That's a lot of work and $ for $2,500. Unless you get your money's worth racing. I bet everyone frequents local drag strips knows this car.

Hey John where you been? how are the pines? Most of the track piston heads know the car, cause I know them and we tend to hang in the same circles.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hi Jim
How come you are selling that little beauty.I hope its because there is another project on the go.I know how it is as I sold my 66 Tiger to finance the other stuff.
Someone will get a super nice car.
I will never sell the Lister or my 62.
Are you still a landlord?I sure don't miss our building at all.Well maybe as I could write so much off against it.I'm sure you know what I mean
Take care and enjoy the day

Jim E

Donation Time
Selling the S3 for one reason.... money... been out of a real job for over a year now and I would like to keep living indoors for some reason. That and the cash would help me meet a couple obligations I see coming down the road.

I do have the next build in mind provided the right cars comes along, sort of think a low buck turbo rotary build.

Still doing therental thing.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

How I wish I had the money to buy it. It would be the quickest car in all of Colombia. Would be great to be top eliminator at the few drags they have here. It would be almost unfair, as most of the guys that race here have small botor bikes. I think the quickest of the lot is a 115 cc Yamaha street bike. The cars are Mazda's Renault's, Peugeot's and a few Lada's. I just love drag racing and feeling a healthy push in the back from a hot V6.

I don't think you'd need a roll cage to run your Alpine. You have a top you could put on it and I think that would be sufficient. You are correct in that it would take more upgrades in order to take the gaff of racing, but after you did those, you would have a reliable hot rod, that you can drive anywhere and be sure you'd get back. Unfortunately, it would take about another $3,000 to do it.

Jose

Jim E

Donation Time
Guess the cage would depend on how fast and where. We have some tracks here that have no tech about the only thing that will shut you down is if they see anything leaking.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim

The tracks where I have run at, were NHRA certified and the cutoff for roll bars and cages was 12.99 seconds e.t. Above that, they didn't require a roll bar. They would make me run with the top up, which was kind of silly, since if the car rolled the top bows wouldn't protect me any better than if they were made of tissue paper.

I also would love to see what it would do, since it would be the baddest normally aspirated V6 Alpine in the country. It would take a lot of money to make it reliable while racing, but OH MAN!

Jose :D

dmich2

Donation Time
Andrew???!!!!! Still doing that rebuild?? This one could really tweak you my friend. You know there's that Dark sider waiting to come out.

I would hate to see Vader with someone besides Jim steering it into Ian's for an Invasion. I mean, who else can have that look of 600 miles at 80 MPH with no top, hair straight up.....priceless.

Dennis

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Vader

Hi Jim and Dennis,

Yes I am still looking at doing the rebuild and I wish I could purchase Vader! It would be nice to take Vader in give her a good home, put a few miles on her until Jim wanted it back.

Vader would look great beside my SIII Alpine!

Jim, I need to talk to you about my rebuild. Can I call you some time?
Please give me a PM.

Andrew

Jim E

Donation Time
The car is still for sale and I have assembled the hardtop and put it on the car... what else... has just under 5k miles on the build, thinking it is about time to replace the Sumitomos they are getting a little long in the tooth, tread is still good just thinking the age thing is a little worrysome. Car is located in Columbia, South Carolina