• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

S11 oilfiller

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi all,
My SII has what I think is the original oil filler cap.
See photo
The cap just pushes on to the filler neck, and it doesn't do a very good job of keeping the oil in. I often have to wipe oil off the top of the valve cover.

Should it have a better seal or something inside the cap?

Attachments

• oilcap.JPG
    oilcap.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 68

serIIalpine

Donation Time
There are different types but on a series 2 they all "breathe".

Look at it this way: It gives you something to do when you open the hood.

Good Luck

Eric

'62 SerII

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
That is the same as on my 1961 Series 3 Rapier - it is correct. Check the vent pipe from the tappet cover to see if it is clear, as a blockage will cause the crank-case pressure to divert to the filler cap.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The SI/II used the push on domed type as in your picture.. they look really nice and do a very poor job of keeping hte vapor in the engine.. the S3 onwards went to a taller neck with a twis on cap.. i assume this was to both cure this issue and also as they added a PCV valve instead of the road pipe on the I and II

Limey

Donation Time
Oil cap position

Hi all,

I note from the pic that the cap is to the front of the engine. Not seen one there on an Alpine before but have seen tappet covers in this configuration for sale. Obviously the hood shuts but I wouldn't have thought there was sufficient clearance (tho' obviously there is)

Oliver

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi all,

I note from the pic that the cap is to the front of the engine. Not seen one there on an Alpine before but have seen tappet covers in this configuration for sale. Obviously the hood shuts but I wouldn't have thought there was sufficient clearance (tho' obviously there is)

Oliver

Well spotted, I didnt notice that! The covers with the filler at the front were from the (or optional to) the early alloy head rapier IIRC

ozzie alpine

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interesting.
I did notice that your valve cover was different to mine Michael!
I'll go and check the tappet cover breather/drain today, and then take it for a good drive.
Its a beautiful day here in Darwin, a warm change from Alice Springs where I've been for the last 5 weeks, and heading back to tomorrow (max 9C last weekend and raining. 1 C expected tomorrow morning when I arrive!)