• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

s1 vs s2 for future mods

Jonathan

Donation Time
Question for the experts. I'm looking at some Alpine (will be my first.)

I really aethestically like the S1 and S2 finned look. My guess is I'll find one with the original 4 cyl and get used to it for a year or two and then when more comfortable upgrade it to a v6.

I've been reading a bit on changes between the s1 and s2, but curious people's thoughts who have been through it. What can I expect as differences in handling or upkeep between the 2? Just trying to determine if its worth holding off for an S2 particularly given the intent to modify it.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Question for the experts. I'm looking at some Alpine (will be my first.)

I really aethestically like the S1 and S2 finned look. My guess is I'll find one with the original 4 cyl and get used to it for a year or two and then when more comfortable upgrade it to a v6.

I've been reading a bit on changes between the s1 and s2, but curious people's thoughts who have been through it. What can I expect as differences in handling or upkeep between the 2? Just trying to determine if its worth holding off for an S2 particularly given the intent to modify it.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan
Other than the side window support and glass there is really no difference.I have a series 2 that started its second life in 1979 as a V6.It now is a 302 roller cam V8
Either way stock or V6 you will wonder what took you so long to become a sunbeamer

Armand4

Donation Time
The Series II has 98ccs (about 6 cubic inches) more than the SI, and is generally thought to be a better performer, but if you're planning on dropping in a new motor that's immaterial.

alpine_64

Donation Time
*The SI has a couple more grease points
*The SII has slightly wider rear springs
*Earlier SI's have a lower steering column postion
*Late SII's have a wider opening bonet (big advantage)
*SII's have a better latch syatem for the rear softtop panel
*SII have better support for the side windows
*SII have better sealing under the A posts with the doors.
*SII have better side sealing on the hardtops (but they are often missing and hard to find)
*SII have better rake on the seats

Jonathan

Donation Time
Thanks the for all the replies. Sounds like the differences are there, and would lean me to an sII for the same price, but the not enough to skip the right sI if it comes along.

I'm taking my time looking, getting a sense of reasonable prices for cars in different states of repair and so forth. Then after all of this I suspect I'll just see one that makes me go 'ooh. I'll get that.'

Its a fun process learning about the vehicles and getting closer to picking out one. its been 20 years since I've really done any work under a hood and I'm looking forward to getting a bit greased up.

I'll let folk know how my hunting goes as it progresses.

oldflotsam

Donation Time
As far as fins go, don't overlook the S3. I really love mine, but it's also the only one I've ever owned.In the past, I've owned a 1956
Healy 100s, a bugeye Sprite, and a piece of rust called a Jaguar(1956), not to mention many, many different American made cars.Maybe it's just being older, but the S3 is more fun.

Wayne